Recipe Fideo Mexicano

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
6:22 AM
This is one of my favorites. My ex's mom used to make it for us whenever we went for a visit, and I still make it to this day. I usually replace the tomatoes with Ro*tel (mixed diced tomatoes and chiles), and always make it with either ground beef or ground pork. http://www.cooks.com/recipe/df5ed9iw/fideo-mexicano.html It's often simply called 'fideo', and fideo is a brand of short vermicelli noodles.

FIDEO MEXICANO
1 box vermicelli spaghetti
2 tbsp. oil
1 med. onion, chopped fine
1 sm. bell pepper, chopped fine
1 c. water
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. pepper (black)
1/4 tsp. cumin, ground

Brown spaghetti in oil. Add water and spices. Add tomato sauce. Simmer until spaghetti is tender. If desired, add browned ground beef or chicken.

Attachments

• fideo.jpeg
    fideo.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 345
This sounds like something we may like. We eat a fair amount of pasta dishes.
It just seems to be something that everybody likes. It is always nice to find a new
recipe to change it up a bit. I will add this to my "To try" list and maybe I will try
it out some day! Thank for sharing! :)

I'd not heard of "fideo" before, but have eaten "fideua" in Barcelona and Valencia which is similar to paella, but made with vermicelli.

The words seemingly have a common origin from the Arabic word fada, meaning to be adundant or to overflow (in the sense of an overloaded cooking pot) and entered Catalan by way of Mozarabic from the time of Arab control of the Iberian peninsula.

Back
Top Bottom