Finickity

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
8:00 AM
After reading the separate thread regarding removing membranes from pork ribs, I realised that, although I don't do that, I'm very finickity about how I pre-prepare my food. I always painstakingly remove the white membrane and skin residue from chicken breast, I religiously trim the fat from beef and tomorrow I shall sit on my stoep and spend 20 minutes picking coriander leaves from the stalks for my samosa filling.

Should I arrange an appointment with a psychiatrist?

After reading the separate thread regarding removing membranes from pork ribs, I realised that, although I don't do that, I'm very finickity about how I pre-prepare my food. I always painstakingly remove the white membrane and skin residue from chicken breast, I religiously trim the fat from beef and tomorrow I shall sit on my stoep and spend 20 minutes picking coriander leaves from the stalks for my samosa filling.

Nope, we remove the membrane from chicken before cooking. We cook meat with the fat on but I always remove it before eating, I take the rind off the bacon before putting it in a sandwich.

Not sure if I'm finicky or not - probably not when it comes to cooking. But when it comes to food presentation/photography then I'm very fussy. I use tweezers to arrange things and remove spots of sauce with cotton buds. I choose the best coriander leaves etc. to garnish. Everything has to be the right shape on the plate or bowl and the plate, bowl or pan has to be the right shape and colour to 'set-off' the dish.

I'm fussy when I present my food, colours have to compliment each other. Don't get me wrong, I'm messy cooking though. Luckily my wife doesn't mind cleaning up after me.

Russ

.......... and tomorrow I shall sit on my stoep and spend 20 minutes picking coriander leaves from the stalks for my samosa filling.

coriander leaf 4 s.jpg

Most definitely. At least consider medication :laugh:

Seriously though, is it being finickerty, or simply a matter of personal likes/dislikes? Personally, I never cut the fat off anything (it's often tastier than the meat) but my son will meticulously dissect a bacon sandwich if he finds the tiniest sliver of fat in it. I never bother taking the membrane off a piece of chicken, but I do cut out that white tube thingy. As for coriander, the stalks get chopped up along with the leaves, but I am the opposite with thyme.

Most definitely. At least consider medication :laugh:

Seriously though, is it being finickerty, or simply a matter of personal likes/dislikes? Personally, I never cut the fat off anything (it's often tastier than the meat) but my son will meticulously dissect a bacon sandwich if he finds the tiniest sliver of fat in it. I never bother taking the membrane off a piece of chicken, but I do cut out that white tube thingy. As for coriander, the stalks get chopped up along with the leaves, but I am the opposite with thyme.

The one meat product that I never cut off the fat is Crispy Pork (Moo Grob).

Moo grob 2 s.jpg

Coriander stems are just as tasty as the leaves. I leave those on. No idea why one would separate the stalks on coriander out.

If I have herbs with woody or tough stems, I certainly remove those.

Don't really care for chicken breast, but in case I am cooking it, I leave some of the fat on it, just to render it some useful moisture. In fact, I prefer it if I can keep the SKIN on that!

Coriander stems are just as tasty as the leaves. I leave those on. No idea why one would separate the stalks on coriander out.

For the Chicken Shashlik marinade I left the stems on as it was all going in the liquidiser anyway. The roots were removed as my wife had other uses for those.

However, tomorrow I shall remove the stems again for samosas.

Back
Top Bottom