First step on new pans

Okay, that explains a lot. With my having no experience with the carbon steel pans, I had no way of knowing that. And I have been known to let pans soak overnight before so I wasn't saying you were doing anything wrong if you did that, I just was trying to figure out how they were rusting. I do oil my cast iron after each use, it doesn't take me long to do that. I didn't know you had to do that with carbon steel, though.

Your pan (above) looks great to me!

Thanks! I'm proud of it. It can also be used to cook other things as well! It's almost like having another 5-qt Dutch oven! :whistling:

old thread I imagine.

I love carbon steel. my wok, my pans, and my knives. they all rust if I dont do my part. I wash them after use. if there is burnt on food, no problemo. I fill them with water and get them to a boil. then dump it out and wipe them clean. mine are all very seasoned and slick. if something is really burned on, I do something counterintuitive. I burn them in more. I heat it up and the stuck on food turns to carbon dust. no harm no foul. I'm not married to the seasoning coating. they come and go and are in any various level in between.

after cleaning with water, I put them over heat and dry them over a fire. then a quick wipe with oil and put them away.

Carbon steel & cast iron are prone to rusting. You must clean it often. Must like copper cookware. Even if you have a big set, you must clean it too often. It can require a weekend job or live-in help!!!! :yuck:

Cleaning iron is easy. If it’s difficult, you are doing it wrong. And rust is obviously a problem if things go awry.
I won’t use stuff that’s finicky. I don’t have the time.

Carbon steel & cast iron are prone to rusting. You must clean it often. Must like copper cookware. Even if you have a big set, you must clean it too often. It can require a weekend job or live-in help!!!! :yuck:
I like copper cookware because it's pretty, though I don't own any and I've never cooked in it. I think you like it because it's kinda orange!

Copper IS kind of orange, but to get the real thing, this set costs well over $2,000!! I'm not THAT much in love with it!!! Not enough to spend THAT kind of money for one!!!!!! Hah!!!!! :mad::ninja::stop::headshake::headshake:

Copper Cookware..jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom