First step on new pans

I did have a look at the All Clad Copper Core, only range our local physical kitchen store stocks, and then turned it over to see the price and put it back down. They do have the D5 range on their website so may ask if they could get any into their physical store to have a look at.

Just shows we aren't all the same, thankfully

Like others here, I use Aluminum core All-Clad. The copper core stuff is too pricey for me. Both are induction ready.

CD

When it comes to cooking tools, I am reminded of my experience learning to drive cars on a race track. Some people would go out, and after a short while, decide they needed racing tires, or more horsepower, to get their lap times down. I was taught by a guy who said, "When you get so good at driving, that your car is holding you back, that is when you add power or other modifications to make the car faster." Not before that!!! You will never become a good driver unless you learn to get 100-percent from the car you have.

I wonder if cooking isn't the same way. :scratchhead:Just a random thought.

CD

Pan handles are like knives. What feels good in one person's hand may not work in another hand. I like my All-Clad handles, but that's just me.

CD
When I was first looking at All-Clad, I didn’t like the handles, either, until the shop owner showed me the “right” way to hold them.

I was grabbing them overhand instead of underhand, and it’s the difference between night and day.

Maybe I'm thinking dfifferently, but I'd want to keep it clean to show off the shiny luster of it all. I don't buy it because I don't want to spend all that time cleaning it.:ninja:

SWMBO is very much in the patina camp, we've coffee table from 200 year old floor boards and my Xmas present was a wallet made of leather from a ship sank in 1786... shiny isn't the aim

Glass topped cooktops/hobs? Here they are ceramic topped. They look like glass, but are MUCH harder. I have no problem using my cast itron on my ceramic cooktop. I can't imagine having a glass cooktop -- I don't think you can even get such a thing here.

CD
Well AEG describe them as "ceramic glass" so who knows? They're probably tougher than I think they are, but they're still more delicate than a gas and stainless steel hob. I paid £400 for my induction hob, so I guess better safe than sorry!

Well AEG describe them as "ceramic glass" so who knows? They're probably tougher than I think they are, but they're still more delicate than a gas and stainless steel hob. I paid £400 for my induction hob, so I guess better safe than sorry!

They are ceramic, although they look like glass. They are very tough.

CD

Want a TRUE copper cookware set? This set from Matfer Bougeat is going to cost you! You'll have to pay out the nose for it, $2,214!!! That's a ridiculous cost for an 8-piece set!!! It's beautiful & shiny & handsome with thick heavy cast iron handles, but..............., Guess what? Sit right there!!!! Next to the cost of a new Hobart mixer, it is one of the most expensive cookware sets around!! You can get a cheap imitaion copper set for far less! But, you get what you pay for. But I'm not about to spend $2,000 for a cookware set!!!!

Last edited:
I am not sure if its a case that we don't have the same tradition with cast iron in the UK (or maybe more accurately, the tradition has been forgotten) but until recently you just didn't see it anywhere. I knew Lodge weren't great but seemed a reasonable introduction before investing more significantly (time or money) in something better.

I find the pan starts smoking notably when getting up to searing temp even before anything has been put in the pan. I've stripped it back to bare metal and reseasoned it with a high smoking point oil but it hasn't improved. Probably some form of user error but not sure what.
I don't think there is anything wrong with Lodge. I couldn't tell you exactly what is going on with your seasoning method...maybe too much oil is being used?

I don't think there is anything wrong with Lodge. I couldn't tell you exactly what is going on with your seasoning method...maybe too much oil is being used?

Keep in mind, the full seasoning process of a cast iron pan is not a one-step process. My Griswold's have many years of continuous seasoning through cooking. Every time you cook something with fat in it, you are adding to the seasoning of that cast iron. That's why I recommend cooking a bunch of bacon in your newly seasoned pan for a first cook. It takes time and use to really build up a durable, non-stick seasoning in a raw cast iron pan.

CD

Keep in mind, the full seasoning process of a cast iron pan is not a one-step process. My Griswold's have many years of continuous seasoning through cooking. Every time you cook something with fat in it, you are adding to the seasoning of that cast iron. That's why I recommend cooking a bunch of bacon in your newly seasoned pan for a first cook. It takes time and use to really build up a durable, non-stick seasoning in a raw cast iron pan.

CD
Most of my cast iron skillets came from estate sales or relatives.

This is about as close to copper as I'll ever get! It can be used for stir-fry, boil,deep fry & steaming & blanching, as well as for baking & roasting. :whistling:

Last edited:
I got my Zwilling replacement pans delivered today! My previous set was disappointing. They gave me a free upgrade, super excited!

The first set I had for about 7 years and they were great for the first 5. The warranty was for 2 years, but I wrote them a super nice email explaining that I felt that for the price I paid (not super expensive but not cheap, either), the warranty should have been longer, and I babied those pans by never putting them in the dishwasher and never using metal utensils, etc. I expressed my great disappointment in how the ceramic coating performance did not seem up to standard with my expectations of quality products associated with their brand. I really didn't think it would go anywhere since the warranty had expired so long ago. But they sent me an airbill and asked me to send in the pots and pans so they could inspect them. I did so, and they sent me these as a replacement without hesitation. These are light years better than the previous ones and I can really tell the difference in the weight and appearance. These also have vented lids and pour spouts on the sides of most of the pots (the previous ones did not). The new ones are significantly more expensive than what I bought previously. What a great company to do this for me--their customer service is fantastic! And of course I was able to register my warranty so if I have any issues with these I can exchange them as needed. I have backup cookware of course so it's no hardship, but I suspect these will last me at least 15 years!

PS: these will never go in the dishwasher!

Last edited:
I got my Zwilling replacement pans delivered today! My previous set was disappointing. They gave me a free upgrade, super excited!

The first set I had for about 7 years and they were great for the first 5. The warranty was for 2 years, but I wrote them a super nice email explaining that I felt that for the price I paid (not super expensive but not cheap, either), the warranty should have been longer, and I babied those pans by never putting them in the dishwasher and never using metal utensils, etc. I expressed my great disappointment in how the ceramic coating performance did not seem up to standard with my expectations of quality products associated with their brand. I really didn't think it would go anywhere since the warranty had expired so long ago. But they sent me an airbill and asked me to send in the pots and pans so they could inspect them. I did so, and they sent me these as a replacement without hesitation. These are light years better than the previous ones and I can really tell the difference in the weight and appearance. These also have vented lids and pour spouts on the sides of most of the pots (the previous ones did not). The new ones are significantly more expensive than what I bought previously. What a great company to do this for me--their customer service is fantastic! And of course I was able to register my warranty so if I have any issues with these I can exchange them as needed. I have backup cookware of course so it's no hardship, but I suspect these will last me at least 15 years!

View attachment 83568
View attachment 83569
View attachment 83570
PS: these will never go in the dishwasher!

Nice set of pots & pans!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom