Fish for More Healthy Eating

Kate

Veteran
Local time
3:58 AM
I spent most of my life disliking fish tremendously. It's still not one of my favorite things to cook or serve... or especially eat, but I'm trying real hard to get it on our plates more often.

I've tried all different kinds of fish and many preparation methods. Seems that grilled is probably the healthiest? Or maybe steamed, which I haven't tried yet. Is that accurate?

How many times a month do you serve fish? I'm trying to find a good balance so that we don't get tired of it but still have the health benefits of eating it often.

Grilled and steamed would both be pretty healthy. If you're not dead keen on the flavour, you could serve it with tasty sauces - tomato based, or creamy. You can also include it in things like a chowder, or a paella, with the flavour balanced by other things and spices.

As a kid, we ate fish once a week, that seemed like a good balance.

Yes, I agree that using sauces is a great way to cover up the "fishy" taste I don't always enjoy. I've never tried a fish chowder or paella but that's a great idea, too!

I've been buying a fish dinner that comes with a plum-ginger sauce and it's very tasty... I've been wanting to find a recipe to make my own. I think I'll finally get around to doing that now that I've reminded myself again. :thumbsup:

Another way you can try doing your grill fish is to get all your favourite vegetables and lightly cook them up with season and all. After that you stuff the fish with them as much as you need, add some butter as well then place it on the grill. I do hope this method makes eating fish more of a pleasure for you.

Yes, I agree that using sauces is a great way to cover up the "fishy" taste I don't always enjoy. I've never tried a fish chowder or paella but that's a great idea, too!

I've been buying a fish dinner that comes with a plum-ginger sauce and it's very tasty... I've been wanting to find a recipe to make my own. I think I'll finally get around to doing that now that I've reminded myself again. :thumbsup:

I have a recipe for roasted chicken pieces with plums and soy sauce, I reckon that combo could work well with fish steaks or pieces too. You roast the meat/fish a bit, add the soy sauce and some strips of ginger, and halved plums and return to the oven to soften the plums.

I have always liked eating fried catfish and I like eating salmon. I usually eat salmon mainly because I like to eat it with brown rice. I hardly eat it with anything else unless it's broccoli.

They say that eating fish is healthier than red meats but that is not for all fishes. There are some kind of fishes which are high in purine content and cholesterol too so we better find some information about the health benefits of all the fishes we are eating if it is right or not for our body.

Back
Top Bottom