Fish for thanks

Dana King

Veteran
Local time
2:02 AM
In an attempt to try something different. This year for thanksgiving we had fish. The recipe called for tuna, but we used tilapia and it instructed that the center was raw. We were making fish streaks. We used olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, and red peppers. (This is what the recipe said to use) The fish tasted fine. The flavors surprised me. Those ingredients did not seem to match to me at first, but it was good. I did not like the consistency. Maybe it would have worked for the tuna, but it felt and looked strange with the tilapia. I cooked mine more. I was happy to cut into it and see the white. I see fish for the holidays happening more, but not with raw centers.

Good idea and sounds like a tasty try for an upcoming celebration.

Your post made me brought to mind a paper cookbook with seasonal food that I can barely remember, but I think it said something about salmon for Thanksgiving in Canada and Goose for the Harvesting Festival in the UK if my memory serves me good.

Typically firmer fish can be served raw, or seared with a raw center. Tilapia is a more delicate fish, and best served cooked. With the sole exception of Tuna, I am not a fan of the "cooked on the outside, raw on the inside" preparation of any other type of fish. If not eaten right away, you just wind up with what tastes like lukewarm sushi, which is rather unappetizing. Also Tilapia is much thinner than Tuna steaks, to even hold up to that type of cooking. You could have just as easily roasted the peppers, then brushed the fish with the soy sauce, olive oil, and lemon juice, and broiled it then topped it with the roasted peppers instead.

Back
Top Bottom