Flip that Burger

Thank you, after 69 years and 10 month someone who really recognizes my endearing quality.
They are called Cevapi here, In Dalmatia the Ottoman influence on the Croatia cuisine is far more apparent than that of our Italian neighbors Ćevapi (Cyrillic: ћевапи, pronounced [tɕeʋǎːpi]) or ćevapčići (formal diminutive; Cyrillic: ћевапчићи, pronounced [tɕeʋǎptʃitɕi]) is a grilled dish of minced meat found traditionally in the countries of southeast Europe (the Balkans). It is considered a national dish of Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina,[1] and is also common in Croatia,[2][3][4] Montenegro, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Slovenia, and Albania.
Ćevapi has its origins in the Balkans during the Ottoman period, and represents a regional speciality similar to the köfte kebab.
Cevapi in Somun View attachment 51361View attachment 51362View attachment 51363
There are more than 200 different kofte recipes in Turkey. I know how to make only 10-15 of them :)
I assume it's geographic location between all those cultures allowed Ottoman / Turkey to have this variety of food.
" According to a 2005 study undertaken by a private food company, 291 different kinds of köfte (being the Turkish word for kofta) were found in Turkey, illustrating the importance of the dish in the Turkish cuisine.[11] Turkish variations include a meatball stew called sulu köfte; batırık köftesi, a vegan variety that uses tahini as a binding ingredient instead of the usual egg; çiğ köfte, made with bulgur and sometimes raw meat, and içli köfte, a deep-fried bulgur paste shell stuffed with kibbeh; and many others. "
Source: Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
There are more than 200 different kofte recipes in Turkey. I know how to make only 10-15 of them :)
I assume it's geographic location between all those cultures allowed Ottoman / Turkey to have this variety of food.
Mate I have been lucky with my culinary travel destinations. I have visited Istanbul twice, the second time was because I thought I had been dreaming. In my opinion It has everything I need from a culinary perspective.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvUtk7sPlM&ab_channel=EileenAldis

Mate I have been lucky with my culinary travel destinations. I have visited Istanbul twice, the second time was because I thought I had been dreaming. In my opinion It has everything I need from a culinary perspective.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvUtk7sPlM&ab_channel=EileenAldis
Istanbul is my hometown, I spent 35 years there growing up with these street food :) Now I'm in the Netherlands, it is very sad to see a very bad replica of Turkish food here in Europe. It's just a shame most of the people in Europe doesn't know the taste of a "real" doner or kebab..

Okay, a burger to me is ground beef. Bison is okay, since it is basically beef. But, it doesn't have enough fat to make a burger the way I like it. There are salmon sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, and vegan sandwiches meant to replace beef. Not burgers -- sandwiches.

Fast food, my favorite is Whataburger, which most of you can't get -- yet. In-N-Out ordered "Animal Style" is good, because it is unique. Teir fries are fresh, but soggy. Five Guys makes a good burger, but it is pricy. I haven't had Shake Shack, yet. That's next on my burger to-do-list. Steak and Shake makes a good burger and great milkshakes.

CD

sandwiches.

To me sandwiches (UK definition maybe?) are on sliced bread and not in buns (toasted or otherwise). With the best will in the world I can't bring myself call this burger I made a sandwich:

To me sandwiches (UK definition maybe?) are on sliced bread and not in buns (toasted or otherwise). With the best will in the world I can't bring myself call this burger I made a sandwich:

View attachment 51389
As an old fart who visited America by sea from L/pool with my parents I never had a burger patty in a bun. They were a toasted sandwich. The bread was beautiful. In my opinion the quintessential cheese "burger" from the massive chains is now at the top of a mountain of sweet mediocrity
1606455588441.png

Mate I don't think I would be on my own in requesting you start a thread(if you have time) about Turkish cooking. My top two favorite cuisines are French and Turkish at number 3 is Chinese 4 Thai 5 Indian.

As an old fart who visited America by sea from L/pool with my parents I never had a burger patty in a bun. They were a toasted sandwich. The bread was beautiful. In my opinion the quintessential cheese "burger" from the massive chains is now at the top of a mountain of sweet mediocrity View attachment 51400

I don't know about the rest of the US, but in the Midwest, that is called a "Patty Melt".

A patty melt is a sandwich consisting of a ground beef patty with melted cheese and topped with caramelized onions between two slices of griddled bread. It is unclear when the patty melt was invented, but records exist of them having been commercially served as early as the 1940s. Wikipedia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom