Food And Drink

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
9:25 AM
We have started watching the new series of this show with Michel Roux Jnr. This weeks programme talked about meals on a budget. There were 2 top chefs who stated that it is easy for families on a budget to eat well and healthy whereas Arabella Weir said that it wasn't easy, if you are down to your last **pence what do you buy 1 apple or a packet of biscuits? I had to agree with her side of things and felt the others were rather condescending. They talked about planning ahead she claimed that not everyone had the time to plan nor the knowledge regarding using 'everything', Tom Kerridge cooked broccoli stalks, I wonder how many people knew that you could.

I understand both sides but lets be honest, if you both work and you have kids, you are on a budget you have prioritise what you buy, and I do think TV chefs should guide not lecture. Ok maybe some people are lazy but not all, there are a lot of parents out there who are doing their best.

broccoli stalks is one that we have been 'doing' for around 20 years or more. Usually when we put broccoli in a soup and then puree the soup. It was one of my American vegetarian soup books that introduced me to that one. I treat it much like asparagus in that aspect. If it is really tough to cut through, leave it - if it is easy to cut through, eat it!

hey! I have not watched the show, but it sounds interesting. On the thematic a family on a budget, I agree with you that not everybody have time to plan. I find that for rich people it's very hard to understand how someone who has no money live with very little, and many times live well. Plus a family could have unexpected costs and It's not that easy! I also agree that chef and mentors should guide instead of lecturing. That is one of the reasons why I don't watch as much TV show about food decoration and stuff like that. I think in shows like that the professionals want to impose their taste instead of suggesting and listening to what the person wants.

Over the years a lot of schools have stopped teaching cookery which is a shame because it is something that needs to be taught, when you leave home it helps to have some knowledge and a lot of parents don't spend the time to teach their kids. The governing bodies are so hot on testing children from an early age and go on and on about learning and good education that they forget little things such as eating well and learning to budget. Yes parents should take responsibility but schools should also have a hand in, that is what they are there for, to teach.

Back
Top Bottom