Food App / Recipe Storage

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
1:06 AM
Hello!
Hope everyone is doing ok.

I have recently discovered a cooking/recipe app and it’s made a huge difference to life. I’m probably way behind everyone else, so you might (probably) sharing something you all already know!

The app is called Whisk and it basically lets you save all your recipes electronically in one place. You can sort them into collections or just have a huge folder of recipes. From here you can meal plan - linking the recipes to various days; and then create shopping lists.

I’ve never managed meal planning well (just hectic lifestyle and scatty) but using this App has nailed it for me. It also means I can find recipes more easily (particularly anything online) and actually use them. (I still get my books out regularly but I have for example pulled out a lot of Nigella recipes online, and these are now staple monthly dinners).

There are other elements to the App (communities etc), that I haven’t used or investigated much. It is a free app (I’m sure there are loads of others available).
Just thought I’d share with fellow foodies how great this particular one is for me.

Just thought I’d share with fellow foodies how great this particular one is for me.
Well thank you so much! Sounds lovely!
Like a searchable database.
I was looking at my paper notebook where I make notes for things I cook for the first time...for a moment I thought: Hmmm...this will not work in the long run...😂
So I will definitely have a look!💙

Well thank you so much! Sounds lovely!
Like a searchable database.
I was looking at my paper notebook where I make notes for things I cook for the first time...for a moment I thought: Hmmm...this will not work in the long run...😂
So I will definitely have a look!💙
Yes! That’s a much better description than my ramble. 😂😂

snap! I keep seeing recipes online or in magazines and I bookmark them or snip them out and loose them, forget where I saved them.

I think I'm heading in the opposite direction, as I just bought a bound paper notebook to copy (my own) recipes into! :)
It’s more the food planning/shopping list that I find useful.
My phone is always with me - bits of paper hardly ever (and I’ve been known to loose them on the way to the shop).

It’s more the food planning/shopping list that I find useful.
My phone is always with me - bits of paper hardly ever (and I’ve been known to loose them on the way to the shop).
I recently upgraded my shopping lists from pen and paper to an app. So far it works really well.

Yes! That’s a much better description than my ramble. 😂😂

snap! I keep seeing recipes online or in magazines and I bookmark them or snip them out and loose them, forget where I saved them.
😂👍That is a kind thing to say.

Oh yeah the papers if they are loose, are not very practical, in particular if I move them...

But, I like the paper notebook in so far as it has no exploding advertisements, does not black out, and if flour sprinkles on it, no big deal😎😁

Probably both in combination, paper and app, will be used, for me...

I recently upgraded my shopping lists from pen and paper to an app. So far it works really well.
I rarely really love any app, but I have to give Kroger credit - their shopping app is easy and straightforward. That's what I use for my list now.

It shows me a running total, and if an item has a coupon, it links it right to my loyalty card, and my favorite thing, it tells me what aisle everything is in, so I no longer have to search for something, which is very helpful because Kroger has an annoying habit of putting like items in different aisles.

Even better, the app automatically defaults to my local Kroger store when I build my list, but if I happen to be out and about and stop at an entirely different Kroger with an entirely different setup, it'll pick up the location change and reorder my list based on the store I'm at. I really like that.

Thank you for suggesting this, the app has good reviews. Right now I keep some of my recipes on a Google sheet and shopping list/meal plan on Microsoft To Do. I like to plan meals when I'm at the laptop, I avoid using the smartphone for activities that involve too much thinking. I like browsing online for recipes and keep a Google sheet with recipes I want to try. I also use this list to help me plan the meals for the week. I write the meal plan and shopping list on Microsoft To Do, which I access on my phone when I'm out shopping. It makes it really easy to scratch over items when I already bought them, or add new items as needed. This is the combo that has worked best for me so far, although I still keep my favorite recipes on paper. Grocery shopping lists on paper, I've scratched those a while ago, I never remembered to bring them with me to the supermarket :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom