Food in the Canary Islands

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
3:58 AM
I have just got back from a holiday in Fuerteventura. One of the things I was most looking forward to was trying out some of the local dishes. I guessed that the dishes on offer would be inspired by both Spanish and African cuisine. However, I was sadly disappointed. The breakfast menus everywhere were typical English breakfasts and the menus for evening meals were typical English pub grub- steaks, gammon, chicken etc. Other than having a Chinese buffet one night, the food was very much what I would have made at home. I am guessing that the food was geared towards the UK tourist market, but I am still none the wiser about local cuisine in the Canary Islands. What are the local specialities in this part of the world and have other people had better experiences than I have had in terms of the food?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canarian_cuisine
have a quick read above,on the beach strips and tourist areas there are imported beers and fried breakfasts ,so it like a working mans club in the sun
i went to Lanzarote to support a Iron man comp years ago ,and it was a culinary grave yard unless you went inland,went in to the lower hills and ate tapas with the locals it was great ,some braised rabbit faggot style dish braised with tomato ,
I stayed in a German hotel ,food was a bit more traditional

Ah, that's such a bummer that it was just like food at home!

One of my favorite things about traveling to new places is getting to experience the local cuisine and I look forward to that part of a vacation a great deal. I would have been rather disappointed too. If anything though it's a good reason to look up some recipes from that region and cook them at home!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canarian_cuisine
have a quick read above,on the beach strips and tourist areas there are imported beers and fried breakfasts ,so it like a working mans club in the sun
i went to Lanzarote to support a Iron man comp years ago ,and it was a culinary grave yard unless you went inland,went in to the lower hills and ate tapas with the locals it was great ,some braised rabbit faggot style dish braised with tomato ,
I stayed in a German hotel ,food was a bit more traditional

Ah, that's such a bummer that it was just like food at home!

One of my favorite things about traveling to new places is getting to experience the local cuisine and I look forward to that part of a vacation a great deal. I would have been rather disappointed too. If anything though it's a good reason to look up some recipes from that region and cook them at home!

Berties, it was just like a working man's club in the sun and that comment made me laugh. Tapas and braised rabbit would have been far more interesting for me to try. The nearest I got was a ring of calamari in the Chinese buffet!
Cupcakechef, that is my favourite part too. Plus, I had images of eating really healthy Mediterannean style cuisine and coming home thin. Instead, I ate greasy fry ups for a week and put on six pounds!

Unfortunately, I was like you - I spent a holiday somewhere else and I wanted to try cuisines of that nature when I got back, unfortunately I had to go online research recipes and then pick up the ingredients one by one and learn how to cook them. Local markets and grocer don't have them premade. In this case, it was Mexican. Authentic Mexican food, not these wannabe dishes I can pick up. The flavor was BAM in the mouth in the spices were enough to make me break a sweat but to not be spicy. I felt my cheeks warming up as I ate too, which is a decent feeling. I couldn't even read the menus, so I just asked the waiter what he likes and he pointed to something, and I said "Why not, you only have one life."

It turned out to be excellent. Still don't know the name of it, but it was a salsa dip for chips as an appetizer that tasted freshly chopped and made. And the main dish was a bean/paste mixture for like a tortilla over top of taco shell fragments and sour cream on it. Can't recall what it was, but dear god it was tasty.

Now I find trying to make them at home, just not the same thing. I can get it close, but no cigar.

Back
Top Bottom