Food mill/mouli légume

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
3:33 AM
A friend ordered this on-line last week. It comes from China so could be here Monday.

I've not come across them before never mind used one. Has anyone any experience with food mills?

1648269359998.png

We had one years ago when our girls were babies.
It was used to purée their food when they were being weaned onto solid food.
Quite an efficient gadget as I recall and meant the children could safely share part of our meals with us.

I've had one all my culinary life and can't remember the last time I used it. Probably for tomatoes. lol

Having just spent hours this last week peeling and mushing around 6 kg of tomatoes, that was what I was thinking. I'll get him to show me it's attributes when he receives it next week. It's the same mate who gives me all the tomatoes (although he calls them tomatoes).

They were last weekend's. He gave us about half as much again last Wednesday.

Yes, I use one frequently for making smooth-as-silk mashed (milled?) potatoes.

A friend ordered this on-line last week. It comes from China so could be here Monday.

I've not come across them before never mind used one. Has anyone any experience with food mills?

View attachment 82766

Yes, I have one. It really comes into its own for making soups or sauces from tough fibrous vegetables. Unlike a food processor, liquidiser or blender it leaves the fibrous parts out. Its good for mashed potatoes too.

I resisted getting one because, as odd as this might sound, it’s a very clanky contraption, and the last thing I need to be doing when I’m cooking is assembling something, but once I got one (not that long ago), I began using it regularly, and now I wouldn’t part with it.

Of coarse, THIS works also! :whistling:
View attachment 82793
Depends GG. Most people use the food mill for tomatoes because it removes seeds and skins for sauce efficiently. vitamix doesn't do that. Ricing potatoes is another popular used for the food mill which can't be done with vitamix. I use a vitamix most days, but not for either of those job, which is why most purchase a food mill. imo

Depends GG. Most people use the food mill for tomatoes because it removes seeds and skins for sauce efficiently. vitamix doesn't do that. Ricing potatoes is another popular used for the food mill which can't be done with vitamix. I use a vitamix most days, but not for either of those job, which is why most purchase a food mill. imo

I would hate to have to correct you, but the secret behind the Vitamix's awesome power is in the motor. At it's highest speed, it spins the blade at about 25,000rpm, making seeds, tomato skins & other unwanted things disappear. You never have any grit or seeds or skins. That incredible speed helps grind all of that to make your smoothies, soups & juices silky smooth. Ordinary blenders just can't do that! I mainly use it when I'm making sweet potato pie, to help get rid of all that stringy matter that's naturally in sweet potatoes. I hate that! :whistling:

Last edited:
I would hate to have to correct you, but the secret behind the Vitamix's awesome power is in the motor. At it's highest speed, it spins the blade at about 25,000rpm, making seeds tomato skins & other unwanted things disappear. You never have any grit or seeds or skins. That incredible speed helps grind all of that to make your smoothies, soups & juices silky smooth. Ordinary blenders just can't do that! I mainly use it when I'm making sweet potato pie, to help get rid of all that stringy matter. I hate that! :whistling:
I get it GG I've been around a vitamix for years. I think you missed my point for those two examples. If that's what works for you more power to you. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom