Food Processor

DancingLady

Veteran
Local time
12:55 AM
How necessary to you think a food processor is? I have never had one. I have done a few recipes that call for one and it rather inconvenient not to have one in those cases, but it as been a long time since then. My mother had one and rarely ever used it. Most of the time I think a blender works just as well.

Well we have always had a food processor and used it for many purposes. I consider it necessary since there are some things that need to be chopped up when I am making certain dishes. Sometimes I would mince peas in the food processor for a special dish which we make at Christmas time. I also use if for chopping up okras. It can also be used for chopping onions and other kinds of seasonings.

Right now I am without my food processor since it had to be sent for repairs, and I have really been missing it.

I have one. Ive had it for years and it has all sorts of attachments. To be honest I found it to be a complete waste of time and money. 1. You have you keep getting it out and putting it away. 2. It takes a lot of cleaning and its fiddly to do. 3. Its more trouble to use it to be honest. As a result I never use it. Its In my garage where its been for the past 6 years gathering dust.

I used mine the other day to slice some onions, green pepper, celery & carrots to cook some steak in the oven.

I don't use it all the time, but only when the need arises for such things that would require a huge amount of chopping, slicing & dicing! It DOES help get you out of the kitchen much sooner than doing it by hand!!
You can also use it for chopping up raw meat for burgers and such! I've done that also. :)

I think it depends on what type of person you are and what type of cooking you do. I make up pate quite frequently as well as hummus which both need the food processor for but I purchased a small one that does not take up a lot of space and is used a couple of times a week as a result.

What I don't do is use it to chop or grate things. I can do that quicker by hand.

How necessary to you think a food processor is? I have never had one. I have done a few recipes that call for one and it rather inconvenient not to have one in those cases, but it as been a long time since then. My mother had one and rarely ever used it. Most of the time I think a blender works just as well.
A food processor has it's purpose but a good high speed blend can do most of the same work. The only thing you have to be careful about with a blender is over blending. A food processor is better in my opinion for chopping veggies, and nuts.

I have one and I used it once. It was too much hassle and as I don't cook large quantities, chopping is fine for me. It was a good idea at the time, but unless you are cooking for a huge family gathering, I find you can cope without one.

It also depends on what dishes you make and if it will save you time if you have multiple ingredients. I tend to use simple ingredients and anything more complicated I experiment with first.

Back
Top Bottom