Food Trends for 2015

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
12:14 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I think when we look back over history, certain periods of time had certain food trends, or things that were popular for that era.

When you think of food or cooking trends that are around right now (either this year, or things in the past couple of years!) are there any things that stand out to you as being popular or on-trend?

For me where I live, I would say healthy eating has really hit the forefront. We have a lot of health food cafes popping up, offering things like paleo pancakes, pastas made with zucchini noodles, brown rice instead of white rice...I think also ingredients that are buzzing right now are things like chia seeds, quinoa, kale, and so forth.

I don't know if cafes like that are as a result of more food intolerances popping up or just as a general consequence of people wanting to eat better and there being more demand for such places.

In contrast though I've also seen a lot of cute burger and hot dog places popping up, and donuts too...

What's a food trend happening near you?

The amount becomes less and less and many shop owners use other cheap ingredients to serve as the original ingredients.

Now a lot of fruit is not as good as they used to be.

So sorry to write this, After all, I just finish pull belly because of cold food.

It's not really that encouraging here because we have a lot of health food parlors now serving vegetable drinks and salads. Last week, I was able to ask a group occupying a table in the al fresco of a salad bar. They were drinking vegetable smoothie. However, the fastfoods serving burgers, hotdogs and other food considered junk are still the most popular particularly to the children. Would you want a salad or a pizza? You can guess the answer to that.

Here in the country where I migrated I do not see any food trends here. What I knew is the different side dishes which are mostly vegetables are the ones they are always preparing to eat. Even in eating places they are always served. And I can' t imagined the children at a young age are eating already their vegetables side dishes. Maybe it is in their culture and a lot different from the culture I grew.up..,But so far I had already adapted myself eating their foods.

But it is just okay because their foods are all healthy. There are only few pizza and hamburger stores here. And at Starbucks you cannot see the people always going there not unlike in other westernized countries wherein these kind of foods is always the trend. That is why maybe the people living here had good complexion and.most of them are slim because of their diet.

I would say that food trends have changed somewhat over the years as people globally have become more health conscious. Restaurants and supermarkets have been catering to the needs of the more health-conscious ones. The fast food outlets have been catching on too and offering some healthy choices. However, the unhealthy choices are still there and people are still buying this stuff. With the healthy alternatives, though, there is a wider variety to choose from. They are those who will mix the two. Some will choose to eat only the healthy stuff, while still others will throw all caution to the wind and continue to eat as they did before. However,, I would say that the majority of us are more health-conscious now where our diet is concerned than we were years ago..

There is definitely a growing awareness of gluten sensitivity in my area. More and more people are trying out gluten free diets and finding that mild to moderate digestive complaints like gas, bloating, heartburn ect are clearing up in the abcense of gluten.

Food preferences like everything else goes in cycles - right now most of the west is on a health food kick. It is in many cases a fashion thing. Children can burn off calories at an incredible rate yet are encouraged to eat a diet suitable for a 70 year old arthritic. In most cases the reason people are fat is that they just don't do much. A friend I worked with served in a guards regiment and as he pointed out the food was [very] plentiful BUT there were no fat guardsmen on parade because they worked it all off. It is fashionable to be allergic to X Y or Z and sorry but many people would be healthier if they ate what they wanted but just got up and DID things.

For me where I live, I would say healthy eating has really hit the forefront. We have a lot of health food cafes popping up, offering things like paleo pancakes, pastas made with zucchini noodles, brown rice instead of white rice...I think also ingredients that are buzzing right now are things like chia seeds, quinoa, kale, and so forth.

To me, these sorts of trend only demonstrate how very confused we all seem to have become about what constitutes a healthy diet.

Here in the country where I migrated I do not see any food trends here. What I knew is the different side dishes which are mostly vegetables are the ones they are always preparing to eat. Even in eating places they are always served. And I can' t imagined the children at a young age are eating already their vegetables side dishes. Maybe it is in their culture and a lot different from the culture I grew.up..,But so far I had already adapted myself eating their foods.
@ReadmeByAmy, your post is really interesting but I don't know which country you are referring to so its difficult for me to reply. Top tip, put your location under your Avatar (picture)! To see how, check out @SatNavSaysStraightOn 's post in The Lounge. Its at the top.

People around the US are trying to eat more healthy foods these days and staying away from processed foods more and more. We are trying to prepare foods with natural ingredients. Health drinks have really become popular.

People around the US are trying to eat more healthy foods these days and staying away from processed foods more and more. We are trying to prepare foods with natural ingredients. Health drinks have really become popular.

Water?

What would you say constitutes a healthy diet? You mention that we are all confused so I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)

Eat a broad range of whole-foods in moderation.

No need to seek out obscure grains, which may well distort local markets for people that actually rely on them, or "superfoods" (sic). Same with "healthy" drinks: what's wrong with good old water!

Back
Top Bottom