Food Trends

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
12:11 AM
[Mod.Edit: First few posts moved from another thread to form new topic]

I am very curious about food trends. Baked beans are very popular in the UK - even for breakfast. SPAM is considered a delicacy in Hawaii. What gives? When did baked beans become a staple in the UK? What about SPAM in Hawaii? I have heard that both food trends date back to WWII. Tinned foods brought to Europe and Hawaii by US Military. Large quantities were left behind in war ravaged regions of Europe and Hawaii.

I see beautiful photos of breakfast plates containing baked beans. I would never consider baked beans for breakfast. SPAM? :yuck:

Where did these trends come from?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see beautiful photos of breakfast plates containing baked beans. I would never consider baked beans for breakfast. SPAM? :yuck:

I was born after WWII but I've always considered baked beans to be a necessary part of an English breakfast and (hot) Spam sandwiches were a treat in our house when I was a kid.

I am very curious about food trends. Baked beans are very popular in the UK - even for breakfast. SPAM is considered a delicacy in Hawaii. What gives? When did baked beans become a staple in the UK? What about SPAM in Hawaii? I have heard that both food trends date back to WWII. Tinned foods brought to Europe and Hawaii by US Military. Large quantities were left behind in war ravaged regions of Europe and Hawaii.

Yeah I always believed it went back to the war, we sell a lot of tinned corned beef to the pacific islands and they blame us for their obesity, but they buy it. Btw it horrible stuff. Full of fat. My late mum used to buy it when we were small. Not much money for food.

Russ

Recently, around these parts, I've seen a tendency to serve baked beans (and even mushy peas*) in a ramekin placed on the main plate. This was new to me.

*In Singapore in early 2000 I was served mushy peas (and not very good ones) in a ramekin with fish and chips. In Harry Ramsden's of all places!

[E.g. (not Harry Ramsden's -

fish_chips[1].jpg

Last edited:
SOS

Haven't heard that one in a while. When I first joined the Navy I lived on base (boot camp, school and a couple of months at my first duty station) and ate in the Chow Hall. SOS was always on the chow line for breakfast. I tried it once :yuck:

Then never, ever try the bully beef! :headshake:

SOS

Haven't heard that one in a while. When I first joined the Navy I lived on base (boot camp, school and a couple of months at my first duty station) and ate in the Chow Hall. SOS was always on the chow line for breakfast. I tried it once :yuck:

I remember as a kid, my dad LOVED it, by it's other name -- Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast -- of course. My sister and I wouldn't touch it.

CD

SPAM in Hawaii does go back to WWII, although I don't know the full story by memory. The story is all over the internet, I'm sure.

CD

Back
Top Bottom