Food when I was growing up

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:07 AM
[Mod.edit: this post and following few have been moved from another thread to form a new topic (MG)]

I can honestly say in all my 74 years on this planet, I've never had mince on toast.

A staple diet growing up poor. I add curry powder and mixed vegetables. Some of my favorite foods were what I ate as a kid. I could eat steak every night if I wanted but comfort food works for me.
You must have been from a better "stock" ?

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Were we that poor?. My kids and grandkids also love it. Leftovers in a toasted sammy. Really good. So the pot cost me about $8 so $2 a plate. Mum fed us 3 boys as well as her.

Russ
Mine never featured on our menu growing up either. Evening meal was a bowl of Heinz tomato soup with a little grated cheese in it and ½ a slice of white bread. Our Mum often didn't eat with us (and I now know didn't eat so we got a little more). The grated cheese was to add a little protein to the meal.

Mine never featured on our menu growing up either. Evening meal was a bowl of Heinz tomato soup with a little grated cheese in it and ½ a slice of white bread. Our Mum often didn't eat with us (and I now know didn't eat so we got a little more). The grated cheese was to add a little protein to the meal.

We would also get tomato soup 1 night with toast. For dipping. Every night there was buttered bread on the table as well. We didn't go hungry.
Rissoles another. Salads in summer with sliced meat.

Russ

You must have been from a better "stock" ?

Not really. My father died when I was 11 years old with minimum compensation. My dear old mother worked for a Jewish tailors God knows how many hours/day. We (two of us) usually had a small joint on Sunday, served cold on Monday and Tuesday and minced on Wednesday in cottage pie. Then it was beans on toast and fish and chips. I was entitled to free school lunches. Maybe my mum didn't eat lunch.

Not really. My father died when I was 11 years old with minimum compensation. My dear old mother worked for a Jewish tailors God knows how many hours/day. We (two of us) usually had a small joint on Sunday, served cold on Monday and Tuesday and minced on Wednesday in cottage pie. Then it was beans on toast and fish and chips. I was entitled to free school lunches. Maybe my mum didn't eat lunch.

Similar, as grandparents supplied mum meat. They usually came Sunday lunch. 1 chicken fed 6 of us. I got the drum along with younger bro. I hate drums now. They also supplied lamb leg . We all enjoyed a good feed then. Like you shepherds pie Monday and Tuesday. I hand ground everything. Loved doing it.
Beans on toast etc. Eggd on toast.

Russ

Back story I remember my dad up to age 3. Apparently he beat mum and left family home and went to Australia never to be seen again!
My daughter was involved with womems refuge here years ago. My company donated large sums of money to them. To run their safe houses.

Russ

There must be a lot of us around.
Council house till I was 8, first B&W TV when I was about 11. No complaints - we lived on what my dad made as a painter & decorator. I can remember sharing 1 Angel Delight between the five of us!

You were rich if you had cheese. I dont remember cheese unti my early teens.

Russ
No butter, no salad unless it was grown in the garden. Veg only came from the veg plot. The house was a council house and mum grew what she could weather permitting. The only meals I remember from 4 years living in that house were free school lunches, 1 slice of toast and cheap jam (breakfast) and tinned soup with ½ slice of bread (evening meal).
The cheese was the only protein I recall except from the free school meals. British cheese is cheaper than chips for the low quality mild cheddar this would have been. Much cheaper than any meat was.

No butter, no salad unless it was grown in the garden. Veg only came from the veg plot. The house was a council house and mum grew what she could weather permitting. The only meals I remember from 4 years living in that house were free school lunches, 1 slice of toast and cheap jam (breakfast) and tinned soup with ½ slice of bread (evening meal).
The cheese was the only protein I recall except from the free school meals. British cheese is cheaper than chips for the low quality mild cheddar this would have been. Much cheaper than any meat was.

Mum had a garden too.full garden fruits raspberries etc. We all got packed lunch everyday. A sandwich piece of fruit and 2 biscuits. State house. ( gooberment)

Russ

Fascinating topic, considering we're all foodies these days!
Rationing in the UK finished in 1954. Food when I was a kid depended on what was seasonal and what was locally produced.
When I was 8, we moved into our first house - with a garden . My dad dug the whole thing up (apart from 10 mts of lawn) and planted veg every year. Potatoes, sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, beetroot, parsnips, onions,spring onions, raspberries, redcurrants, lettuce, runner beans. Then a few years later, he built a greenhouse and we had tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.
Fresh fruit was strawberries (which we scrumped from an abandoned local farm), which were mostly made into jam; blackberries (which we picked wild in the park), red/blackcurrants (usually gifts from locals), apples and pears from local sources. People would put boxes of cooking apples outside their house, if they had too many, and we'd take maybe 4 or five, to make apple pie or bottled pie filling. I seem to remember we had a "Cold Box" until I was about 10, when we got our first fridge. No freezer, except for a narrow shelf where we made "ice".
My mum was basically vegetarian, except for chicken. Sunday Roast (which was obligatory) was that - even on Christmas Day, although my dad would buy a roast beef or a bit of lamb. Gravy all over the place. Loads of the veg above, plus cheese, which would be Cheddar, Cheshire, Lancashire or Double Gloucester. Every Saturday we had salad for dinner. In the summer, great; in the winter, not so great. As we grew older, we'd have Heinz ravioli or spaghetti, on toast. Never had proper pasta at home, nor anything else vaguely "foreign".
First Chinese: 14 years old. My aunt took me. Sweet and sour chicken.
First pasta dish: 14 years old. Summer Camp in Ramatuelle, Southern France.
First Curry: about 16. Down the pub with some mates and finished up in "The Curry Inn", along the High St.
First Broccoli, artichoke,Spaghetti, Stilton, Camembert, etc: first (and only) year at Oxford. Ate like a pig, 5 times a day.

We moved from Kentucky to New York City when I was 2 years old. It seems my parents fell in love with food there - finally, Dad and Mom could have veggies that weren't cooked into unappetizingly soggy states of non-being! (Down in the South in the US overcooking veggies, at least then, was a Thing.)

Mom and dad both brought home offal to eat - back then, quite inexpensive. That's when I learned my lifelong appreciation of most odd bits of animals - although liver, that one was hard to get past. My parents eventually tried to get me to eat chicken breast by telling me it was sweetbreads (thymus or pancreas of mammals) but I never was fooled. Sweetbreads were (and remain) far better.

Dad haunted Chinatown and Little Italy and Nicholas Avenue - and any "ethnic" area he could. Finally unfettered from the Kentucky foods, he let his tastes go wild. Although Mom had had things like tongue served back in Kentucky growing up, she could also break loose. However, she never cottoned to trying brains, but Dad made a great brain salad.... cook them, let them cool, add capers, salad dressing - pop this out and serve.

Pasta was always called "noodles" unless it was specifically spaghetti. We never ate it "properly" but cut it at the table. But we all learned early how to use chopsticks - so much so that years later at a Korean restaurant the Koreans who worked there complimented me on how well I handled these implements.

School days was cereal. Weekends Dad usually made breakfast. We grew to distrust what we called "reruns" - pancakes we hadn't finished on Saturday served again, re-heated on the skillet (no microwave then) on Sunday. Nowadays I just save the batter, and cook those leftovers later. One of his epic fails (he had very very few) was when he added leftover fried rice to the Saturday breakfast pancakes. Nope, please don't do that again!

We never had soda, other than a stash of ginger ale Mom kept around for tummy upsets. Water, milk, or home-squeezed orange juice. The latter for which I commend my mother. She'd been raised on orange juice with cod liver oil added to it every day, giving her a permanent hatred of oranges in any shape or form. But she figured she's suffer through the orange stench to provide us with fresh orange juice nutrition she believed necessary for us.

We weren't rich, but weren't poor. My dad was a chemical engineer working in an oil refinery. Mom quit her job as a teacher to stay at home with the kids. We ate pretty normal foods, although my mom was a terrible cook. She overcooked everything. Dad would occasionally cook something on the charcoal grill, and it would end up like shoe leather when he was done with it.

Basically, a typical middle-class family in the US in the 1960s and 1970s. By the time my parents were wealthy, I was in my 20s, and had my own career and cooked my own food. The first time I had asparagus that wasn't from a can, and wasn't boiled for 30 minutes, it was an epiphany. "Wow, asparagus is really... very... good!"

CD

Our grandparents were saviors as we also got eggs from them. They had about 15 Hens . They would take us out to the country to buy cases of apples. I think they paid for them .and that's stuff I knew about.
I think 4 yrs in a pow camp in poland taught him to treasure everything.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom