Foodie Gifts for Christmas (or whenever).

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
12:00 PM
I think half the challenge of buying gifts is choosing the right thing for the right people. With that in mind I thought it might be an idea to have a thread that we could share some of the food related presents we’ll be gifting to the food lovers in our lives.

I’ve still got a few people to buy (so hoping I might got some ideas) for but here’s a few things I have chosen for people so far.

Garlic Set - which I actually love!
Travel Tea Tin
Christmas Tea
Hot chocolate (I will be giving some marshmallows, chocolate stirrers and chocolate toppers with this)
Almanac - this one has gardening and recipes. I buy one every year; they are beautiful books.

What have you bought or recommend for foodies?

51974 51975 51976 51977 51978

Last edited by a moderator:
A great topic! What is a garlic gift set? When I was a kid, I made a garlic necklace to give to my father because my mother was so mean. It didn't work though. ;-)

I'll see if I can find some photos of food related gifts I've made in the past few years.

I (naturally) love giving and getting food gifts!

I'm big on tea and biscuits/cookies, and chocolates, the usual things that are Christmassy, but one year I got a set of specialty salts (pink salt, truffled salt, smoked salt, etc) and flavored cooking oils are nice.

If I were made of money, I'd get Christmas hampers from Britain delivered to everyone I gift in the US, because it's unique. Instead, we compromised and just got one for us. :laugh:

We give boxes of butter cookies from a local German bakery to our "Boxing Day" recipients: pharmacy, vet, hair salon, doc, and my stylist always gets a bottle of booze (last year was port, this year is champagne).

Last year, I got individual bags of tea and wrapped each one separately and made an advent calendar for my tea-drinking niece.

A great topic! What is a garlic gift set? When I was a kid, I made a garlic necklace to give to my father because my mother was so mean. It didn't work though. ;-)

I'll see if I can find some photos of food related gifts I've made in the past few years.
It’s a ceramic garlic grater; comes with a peeler and a brush.

Reactions: mjd
I (naturally) love giving and getting food gifts!

I'm big on tea and biscuits/cookies, and chocolates, the usual things that are Christmassy, but one year I got a set of specialty salts (pink salt, truffled salt, smoked salt, etc) and flavored cooking oils are nice.

If I were made of money, I'd get Christmas hampers from Britain delivered to everyone I gift in the US, because it's unique. Instead, we compromised and just got one for us. :laugh:

We give boxes of butter cookies from a local German bakery to our "Boxing Day" recipients: pharmacy, vet, hair salon, doc, and my stylist always gets a bottle of booze (last year was port, this year is champagne).

Last year, I got individual bags of tea and wrapped each one separately and made an advent calendar for my tea-drinking niece.
I bought lots of flavored salt last year. It went down well.

I can't find the photos I was thinking about for this thread. I enjoy making "themed" gift baskets personalized to the recipient so I usually go that route. These are the ones I can think of at the moment. The first part is the gift with its additions listed afterward.

Apple Butter - With recipe card.
BBQ (Barbecue) sauce - With recipe card.
Coffee - Favorite coffee(s), mug, sugar, creamers...
Cookies - Add the recipe and dry ingredients for making cookies included with baked cookies.
Ginger candy - With recipe card.
Hot sauce - Various hot sauces
Pasta maker - Cookbook for making pastas.
Peppermint scrub - With recipe card. (Not to be consumed but added here since it's a food type).
Sweet treats - Various homemade candies and/or cookies/biscuits including recipes.
Tea Lover - Various teas, mug, honey, sugar or sub. depending on the recipient, kettle (if they don't have one)...
Waffle iron - Including dry ingredients and recipe card.

Edited to add: These are food related gifts I've given for holidays, birthdays or weddings.

I just remembered this but I found it really difficult to shop for my in-laws when I was married. I just started buying them food gifts. For example, one year, they got a lobster dinner for two prepared and delivered to their door. Another year, we bought them tickets to a play that included dinner. I can't remember the others but they were along the same lines. I didn't think about those when originally responding because I didn't actually *make* the gift/gift basket.

That reminds me, we always send a Harry & David basket to my folks for their "It's Christmastime, this is a gift, but it's not a Christmas gift" gift. :laugh:

Another gift and another person ticked off my list! Bought a curry kit for my curry loving friend.
She loves to batch cook and these kits serve 3-4 people (apparently) so she should be able to stock up her freezer.

• Canned Foie Gras/goose liver
  • A selection of mustards
  • A selection of almond/chocolate cookies
  • Malt-flavored, syrupy (islander's) crisp bread/crackers
  • A basket of figs
  • Cranberry jam
  • Canned bear meat
  • Home-made black currant or rhubarb marmelade
  • Home-made dried citrus zest
  • Home-made roasted nuts
  • Artisan chocolate slabs/bars
lahj_a.png