Food's disappearing?.

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:54 AM
Wife and I had discussions after kids left yesterday.
So I grew up with corned beef n carrots. My mum and her before her served it up regularly. We bought some yesterday for $11 kg from countdown supermarket.
I fed 10 for like $2 a head .
D.i.l raved about it. I asked her if she ever made it or had as a kid. She had it growing up but never made it.
So unless our grandkids didn't have it here they wouldn't know what it tasted like.
Granddaughter chose it because she liked it last time then grandson chose it for his birthday meal in a few weeks.
Without me cooking it they may grow up without knowing the taste.
Our dil is mid 40s and never made it.
Do you try to keep old recipes out there??

Wife and I had discussions after kids left yesterday.
So I grew up with corned beef n carrots. My mum and her before her served it up regularly. We bought some yesterday for $11 kg from countdown supermarket.
I fed 10 for like $2 a head .
D.i.l raved about it. I asked her if she ever made it or had as a kid. She had it growing up but never made it.
So unless our grandkids didn't have it here they wouldn't know what it tasted like.
Granddaughter chose it because she liked it last time then grandson chose it for his birthday meal in a few weeks.
Without me cooking it they may grow up without knowing the taste.
Our dil is mid 40s and never made it.
Do you try to keep old recipes out there??
I kinda thought this was about something else, lol. One time (about 15 years ago) we came home to a bunch of food that had disappeared from our freezer becsuse oldest stepdaughter and boyfriend knew our garage code and figured we wouldn't care if they helped themselves without asking.

My kids have eaten everything I ate growing up except liver and meatloaf because I hate both of those things, lol. They don't need to know how awful they are. I know you're not going to feed your grandkids tripe and parsley sauce.

My mum really didn’t like cooking for us so the food with the exception of Sunday Roast wasn’t good.

As she resented cooking and liked to communicate that through her dishes, we had chops, frozen mixed veg boiled to death and new potatoes or chips pretty much everyday. The mix veg was never drained well so the meat and potatoes were always swimming in a pool of mixed veg juice.
We used to know when dinner was ready because the smoke detectors would go off 😂

It took years for me to be able to eat new potatoes and I don’t think my children have missed anything when it comes to the massacred mix veg 😂

If I cook dishes I grew up with they are a vastly upgraded version as UK food from the 1970’s- 1990’s was absolutely nothing to write home about.

Apart from puddings, for some unknown reason we did have a good line in puddings like steamed syrup sponge, spotted dick, jam and coconut sponge with custard, chocolate sponge with mint custard, lots of different but good crumbles, jam rolypoly, treacle tart , pineapple upside down cake, bread and butter pudding, rice pudding, knickerbocker glory, banana split and some truly great gateux.

Last edited:
My mum really didn’t like cooking for us so the food with the exception of Sunday Roast wasn’t good.

As she resented cooking and liked to communicate that through her dishes, we had chops, frozen mixed veg boiled to death and new potatoes or chips pretty much everyday. The mix veg was never drained well so the meat and potatoes were always swimming in a pool of mixed veg juice.
We used to know when dinner was ready because the smoke detectors would go off 😂

It took years for me to be able to eat new potatoes and I don’t think my children have missed anything when it comes to the massacred mix veg 😂

If I cook dishes I grew up they are a vastly upgraded version as UK food from the 1970’s- 1990’s was absolutely nothing to write home about.

Apart from puddings, for some unknown reason we did have a good line in puddings like steamed syrup sponge, spotted dick, jam and coconut sponge with custard, chocolate sponge with mint custard, lots of different but good crumbles, jam rolypoly, treacle tart , pineapple upside down cake, bread and butter pudding, rice pudding, knickerbocker glory, banana split and some truly great gateux.
My mom also wasn't a great cook other than desserts, but she was just busy and had limited resources. When I was really young (I'm the baby) she had 6 kids at home and after my parents divorced she was working and on a budget. We had inexpensive food that she didn't enjoy cooking and it wasn't good. My dad got into real estate after the divorce so he had plenty of money for good food, cars, boats, and horses. My poor mom got a raw deal and I didn't realize it until I was much older.

Her pies and cakes were amazing, but I'll never understand her love for mincemeat pie and fruitcake.

Last edited:
My mom also wasn't a great cook other than desserts, but she was just busy and had limited resources. When I was really young (I'm the baby) she had 6 kids at home and after my parents divorced she was working and on a budget. We had inexpensive food that she didn't enjoy cooking and it wasn't good. My dad got into real estate after the divorce so he had plenty of money for good food, cars, boats, and horses. My poor mom got a raw deal and I didn't realize it until I was much older.

Her pies and cakes were amazing, but I'll never understand her love for mincemeat pie and fruitcake.
Cor, 6 kids is a lot of mouths to feed!

Fruitcake is one of those old fashioned cakes that was hugely popular with the war generation. I never understood it. Perhaps it was a cake they didn’t have the rations for, that would give it all the cache it would need to represent a joy.

It’s funny how the little cakes offered in hospital have changed depending on the elderly demographic that takes up the beds. Fruit cake was the only cake wanted. Now it’s Madeira!

I've never had corned beef and carrots together, but since I don't like either one, I can't say I missed anything. :laugh:

The only thing that comes to mind as far as old school regulars is meat loaf. I make a good one -- much better than my mom's. I use beef and pork, and cook it on the smoker. YUM!

CD

I'm trying to remember dishes that I never, ever gave to my kids.
Oddly enough, corned beef was one of them, but only because it doesn't exist in Venezuela.
Ravioli/spaghetti on toast was another...
Bread sauce, bread pudding, gravy, custard, Xmas pud, jelly with canned fruit, and anything made with suet (because it doesn't exist here).

I'm trying to remember dishes that I never, ever gave to my kids.
Oddly enough, corned beef was one of them, but only because it doesn't exist in Venezuela.
Ravioli/spaghetti on toast was another...
Bread sauce, bread pudding, gravy, custard, Xmas pud, jelly with canned fruit, and anything made with suet (because it doesn't exist here).
Understand most of that but not the gravy, custard or jelly, so why not?

Gravy and custard don't go with South American cuisine. Meat is generally eaten as it is (off the grill), with the sauce it was cooked in , or with maybe a chimichurri, or a guasacaca on the side.
Hot puddings are not really a thing over here, unless it involves chocolate volcanos :laugh: :laugh:
Jelly - well, yes, but fresh fruit is so easily available here that I'd never, ever dream of using a tin.

Ju
Gravy and custard don't go with South American cuisine. Meat is generally eaten as it is (off the grill), with the sauce it was cooked in , or with maybe a chimichurri, or a guasacaca on the side.
Hot puddings are not really a thing over here, unless it involves chocolate volcanos :laugh: :laugh:
Jelly - well, yes, but fresh fruit is so easily available here that I'd never, ever dream of using a tin.

Just to be sure, the jelly that you are referring to is what we Mercans call Jello? So, jelly with fruit would be a Mercan Jello salad?

(I'm glad I read that back after I typed it, because auto correct changed abut five words)

CD

I'm must be a very British brit, I can't imagine not having a roast dinner 😂
I have a small appreciation for cold tinned pears with evaporated milk as that was what the oldies used to like to share in the care home but I'm aware that's just nostalgia.

Other tinned fruits like cherries or raspberries in syrup are excellent for making your own energy gels for endurance sport. You can layer up the energy release by using different ingredients, they tasted a million times better than the bought ones, were cheaper and didn't contain half a chemical factory including gut twisting artificial sweeteners.

I'm must be a very British brit, I can't imagine not having a roast dinner
That's probably because it's a National Treasure! If in Britain, you must have a Sunday roast, a pint of bitter and some Fish & Chips. If you go to Italy, I imagine pizza and a classic pasta have to be on the wish list (although I can think of a dozen things I'd prefer); in Greece, you have to try the Souvlakis, the Moussaka and the Tzatziki; a tagine in Morocco and an arepa, plus pabellón criollo, in Venezuela!

Back
Top Bottom