Free range eggs, do you ??

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:31 PM
Buy them? I grew up with my nana supplying us her own chickens eggs, bright yolks and so yummy, we have been buying free range for 20 years and had a good supplier up to 3 years ago, he moved his opation miles away. A friend has been supplying us since then but that has stopped, due to them not laying. Wife's been getting from supermarket at $6 dozen. So yesterday I decided we need better eggs from a regular supplier. We went for a drive yesterday in the country (50ks) and came across a small farm with free range eggs, we bought 2 dozen but they were $7.50 dozen. Very expensive but I'll pay that for good eggs I love my eggs on toast so I'm hoping after I cook these they will be my main supplier.
Do you buy free range cage free eggs?

Russ

These are the eggs I usually buy, and I have a similar brand I like as well:

These are usually $6/dozen, and hit all the trendy bits: cage-free, free-range, non-GMO, certified humane, etc.

The organic farmer around the corner from me sells eggs from his chickens for $5/dozen, but they're never dated, so I never know how fresh they are. We go through eggs pretty fast here (for two people, anyway), so it probably wouldn't matter.

in USA, the legal definition of "free range" means the coop has a hole where the chickens, if they wish, may go outside.

this is a world of difference from chickens running around on the farm.....feasting on whatever bug they came across.....which is the original thought.....

same for USA "organic" stuff - it's not actually organic, it means it's only been subjected to 'approved' chemicals, within some time frame.

These are the eggs I usually buy, and I have a similar brand I like as well:

These are usually $6/dozen, and hit all the trendy bits: cage-free, free-range, non-GMO, certified humane, etc.

The organic farmer around the corner from me sells eggs from his chickens for $5/dozen, but they're never dated, so I never know how fresh they are. We go through eggs pretty fast here (for two people, anyway), so it probably wouldn't matter.
Basically the same set up here as well. Those are the eggs I get when I can't/don't get the eggs form a local buddy whose sister brings them in from Cattlett VA. They are gorgeous.

_DSC1855.jpg

Always. Some egg/chicken production facilities have appalling welfare standards.
Agreed. I only eat organic, free range eggs since I got back to eating animal products. I only eat organic and free range animal products in general, I am concious of how what I bought may have lived and don't want to support industrial farming.

We buy most of our eggs from the Co-op, who only sell free range. I think they were the first of the bigger supermarkets in the UK to do that. Now and then, we get eggs from the local greengrocery, who sell (free range) eggs from Blyth's, who are based about ten miles or so up the road from us and whose eggs are very good.

I couldn't tell you when I started buying free range eggs...probably back in the 1980s, I think.

Back
Top Bottom