Recipe Freezer Cucumber Pickles

I was interested by this concept so I did a quick google. All the recipes seemed to be for pickled cucumber! Why no other vegetables? Is this something to do with the freezer method providing a crunchy texture which would be desirable for cucumber, but perhaps not for other vegetables?

Then I thought... am I having one of those misunderstandings due to American food terminology. Perhaps by 'pickle' you mean cucumber in the US. Here, pickle can refer to loads of different things besides cucumber or gherkin. Branston (a popular brand of mixed pickle), piccalilli, beetroot, lime, aubergine... literally endless types.

I was interested by this concept so I did a quick google. All the recipes seemed to be for pickled cucumber! Why no other vegetables? Is this something to do with the freezer method providing a crunchy texture which would be desirable for cucumber, but perhaps not for other vegetables?

Then I thought... am I having one of those misunderstandings due to American food terminology. Perhaps by 'pickle' you mean cucumber in the US. Here, pickle can refer to loads of different things besides cucumber or gherkin. Branston (a popular brand of mixed pickle), piccalilli, beetroot, lime, aubergine... literally endless types.

Many people here only seem to eat cucumber pickles, not other veggies. I grew up eating a variety of pickled goods, not simply pickled cucumbers, but I'd have to go searching to find pickling cucumbers, since many stores only carry the full sized ones. I don't have a problem with pickling other things, but I'm not sure if the texture would be the same with this freezing method. I'm not up to trying the cooking method, since my kitchen is tiny, and I don't have and can't afford to buy the necessary equipment and supplies.

Back
Top Bottom