Freezing batter.

My suggestion would be to make the batter in an extra bowl, transfer the batter into a glass that has enough room for the biggest fish sandwich and instead of hands I would use a salad tong.

I don't have a glass that big although I do have 800 ml wine glasses but I'm not using one of those.

What would happen to putting battery onto a plate just deep enough for 1 side and pouring or spooning batter over the top side?

I don't believe that will give 100% coating to the fishcake (although I've not tried it).

I don't believe that will give 100% coating to the fishcake (although I've not tried it).
It was just a random idea... but unless you can source bantam eggs, it's probably not useful.

We've taken to keeping the bantam eggs back for ourselves (chook eggs go to food hub to help those in need), that way if a recipe is too great a quantity with 1 egg, we can actually do it with ½ egg (aka 1 bantam egg). But that's probably not relevant if your batter doesn't need eggs (can't remember... off kilter today)

The problem resolves around the uncooked fishcake consists of three slippy pieces. Single pieces of fish or potato (as in scallops) are much easier to handle and maybe could be coated using batter in a glass. The cake has a mind of it's own when trying to coat it and thereafter deposit it in hot fat without making a hell of a mess and/or being hospitalised with first degree burns.

I took the batter from the freezer earlier today to defrost it for my cod loin. My wife didn't like the smell so we binned it and she made some more. It wasn't really a massive financial loss - I won't bother again.

Back
Top Bottom