Recipe French Meat Pie

joycemcgregor

Veteran
Local time
4:41 AM
My family has a favorite savory pie called French Meat Pie. It is not difficult to make and is good hot, at room temperature or right out of the refridgerator. Here is the recipe:

1lb ground beef
1lb ground pork
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 cup mashed potatoes (left over is fine)
2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
double crust pie shell (refrigerated or frozen is good)

brown meat, add onion and cook until onion is soft. Stir in mashed potatoes, allspice, salt and pepper.
Put in pie shell and cover with second crust.
Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until crust is brown.

I also love savoury meat pies, I grew up in Australia and they are basically regarded as a national dish there! Sadly not living in Australia anymore means that I don't have as easy access to buying them fresh from the local bakeries, but making my own is fun!

My family has a favorite savory pie called French Meat Pie. It is not difficult to make and is good hot, at room temperature or right out of the refridgerator. Here is the recipe:

1lb ground beef
1lb ground pork
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 cup mashed potatoes (left over is fine)
2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
double crust pie shell (refrigerated or frozen is good)

brown meat, add onion and cook until onion is soft. Stir in mashed potatoes, allspice, salt and pepper.
Put in pie shell and cover with second crust.
Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until crust is brown.

Just made a few of these myself, and am curious... some recipes call for veal, which I don't enjoy using. Have you ever made them with veal meat? If so, how did things turn out?

Back
Top Bottom