French Press Tips

kalula

Über Member
Local time
8:23 PM
Hello there, I read the forums but never got to join the conversation but perhaps you can help me with this one as I couldn't find any post related or updated.

I really love coffee but by the time being my budget will only be enough to get something quite simple like a french press. I did already drink coffee prepared on these "machines" but I have zero experience handling it, does anyone else got a french press, has a history on these machines and can recommend brands and/or models?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. I hope you have fun

The French press is the sort I've always used - known as a cafetière in the UK. It couldn't be simpler really! Sluice out the pot with boiling water (to help the pot warm up). Put in the ground coffee and top up with boiling water. Stir briefly and put plunger on top. Wait about 4 minutes and push down the plunger. Voila!

There is a tutorial here, should you need it: http://ineedcoffee.com/press-pot-tutorial/

Incidentally, it helps if you add your location under your picture - then people can recommend products which are available to you. Its useful to know anyway as people often talk about ingredients and terms which have different meanings depending on country. To see how to do this, click here - its easy!!! How to add your location to below your avatar

Careful when plunging ,slowly and carefully wins the day ,a hotel I use they tend to spill when plunging ,ensure you keep the filter clean

Yes, as @Berties mentioned, do be careful when plunging. It's best to leave a little real estate between the top of the container and the contents, because in the beginning, you might not realize quite how much room the grounds will take up. I love french presses, and although you're right, they are very cost effective, I've found that even though I've had much more expensive coffee makers, the press is the one I always gravitate back to, because the end result is so lovely.

I prefer stainless steel over a glass french press. It keeps the coffee warm longer and you can't break it! I managed to break at least a half a dozen glass ones before I switched.

Back
Top Bottom