French toast/eggy bread

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
1:34 AM
French toast, in the pan and on the plate:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do. But I think its also called French toast here. I asked because my eggy bread looks eggier than yours. I'm not saying that's a good thing!
The recipe I use specifically mentions that it’s designed to have the egg soak into the bread, and not have the bread coated in egg. The batter is ver thin, and the bread is dried out in the oven ahead of time, so it’s a real sponge.

Sometimes, French toast here can be over-egged (IMO), where, when it starts to fry, there will be sort of an eggy edge around the bread. That’s too much egg for me. I want the egg in the bread, not on the bread.

The recipe I use specifically mentions that it’s designed to have the egg soak into the bread, and not have the bread coated in egg. The batter is ver thin, and the bread is dried out in the oven ahead of time, so it’s a real sponge.

Sometimes, French toast here can be over-egged (IMO), where, when it starts to fry, there will be sort of an eggy edge around the bread. That’s too much egg for me. I want the egg in the bread, not on the bread.

I quite like a bit of eggy, raggy bits but yours look more elegant. We need to copy over these posts to a new French toast thread...

I like my French toast very basic - soaked in an egg batter, flavored with cinnamon and sugar, and served with maple syrup.

I don’t like those “stuffed” French toast recipes at all - ones with cream cheese and some kind of fruit compote, and whipped cream, etc.

Back
Top Bottom