French toast/eggy bread

I do. But I think its also called French toast here. I asked because my eggy bread looks eggier than yours. I'm not saying that's a good thing!

In the US, a lot of diners make French Toast using "Texas Toast," which is just white bread sliced very thick. I personally prefer French Toast made with a rustic bread with some chew to it -- sliced thick.

Texas toast - Wikipedia

CD

I've always considered French Toast is sweet whereas eggy bread is savoury. I'm not sure why I think that.....its probably because most of the French Toast recipes I've seen online are sweet, but I've never seen sweet eggy bread...it just sounds wrong to me!

The way i make eggy bread: soak the bread in the eggs (seasoned with salt & pepper) until its saturated then gently fry. I generally eat it plain or with either ketchup or HP sauce.

I prefer to use a rustic country bread or an enriched bread, not as enriched as brioche, but close.

We also like to add a bit of triple sec to the egg mixture. It gives it a little something extra. Craig turned his nose up the first time I told him to try it, but then he really liked it.

I like just a little cinnamon in the egg mixture. Then butter and confectioner's/icing sugar sprinkled on top, then just a little syrup.

Not a fan of the stuffed French toast either.

Eggy bread, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, chilli flakes:

Back
Top Bottom