Fresh or Dried Herbs

nutmegprincess

Veteran
Local time
2:28 PM
I have a basil plant. I like using fresh basil though I feel bad about taking leaves all the time. So, to allow my plant to have more leaves, I buy dried ones from the supermarket. Sadly, some dried herbs do not taste as good as fresh ones.

Which do you prefer? Fresh or dried herbs?

I use dried herbs, but for herbs like cilantro, parsley, sage & others, you're right!!
Sometimes, dried herbs that don't have the aroma just don't cut it!! :eek:

I think fresh herbs are always better to use in cooking than dried ones, which lose their aroma and taste after a time.

Always take leaves from the tips of your basil plant. This will actually encourage it to put out more leaves because it will grow more new stems bearing leaves. Alternatively, why not have two pots of basil if you use it a lot.

I much prefer fresh herbs. I think they have better flavor and I love using them in my cooking because they smell so good. I have previously tried to dry my fresh herbs to see if there was a difference between drying them yourself or buying dried from the store and needless to say I am not impressed with my own dried herbs or the dried herbs available in store.

I also tried drying my own herbs. Sadly, I was unsuccessful. There are fresh herbs in packs in our grocery store though. :)

I have a basil plant. I like using fresh basil though I feel bad about taking leaves all the time. So, to allow my plant to have more leaves, I buy dried ones from the supermarket. Sadly, some dried herbs do not taste as good as fresh ones.

Which do you prefer? Fresh or dried herbs?
I absolutely love fresh herbs, they taste completely different to the bland dried herbs and it makes a difference when cooking. Fresh Basil instead of dried basil in a pasta sauce completely alters the taste.

I absolutely love fresh herbs, they taste completely different to the bland dried herbs and it makes a difference when cooking. Fresh Basil instead of dried basil in a pasta sauce completely alters the taste.

I agree! It really makes me sad when I have no choice but to buy those dried herbs that come in packs.

I prefer fresh herbs but I tend to use dried herbs for convenience. On several occasions, I have bought fresh herb plants for my kitchen windowsill. Unfortunately, every plant I touch dies so it has not been a successful venture so far.

In a lot of UK supermarkets it is now possible to purchase fresh, but frozen herbs as well... these are in my view the best of both worlds because you can't kill them on your windowsill through over or underwatering or lack of sunshine etc.. and they have much more taste than dried herbs...

I like fresh herbs, but it's not always practical to use them all up so dried herbs are useful especially when cooking for one person. Although you can freeze them, I tend to use them only when I am cooking several dishes in one go

I prefer to use dried herbs even though the fresh ones have a stronger aroma. In the past when I kept fresh herbs in the refrigerator, a lot of it would spoil on me before I could use it up. I therefore started buying the dried packaged or bottled herbs on a more regular basis...they last longer. However, I recently heard that storing fresh herbs in the freezer is a good way to keep them fresh for a long time. I think I may start buying them again and see how that works for me.

Back
Top Bottom