Fried foods can be dangerous for you!

Typical editorial bias. A link to the actual study they're referring to should be mandatory, saying that, they indicated that they looked at 17 studies that followed a half a million adults for 9 years.....they didn't follow anyone. They handout what's called a food survey questionnaire periodically for an update. There is no box for " I don't remember" From memory they expect a person to remember things like how much beef did they eat over the last 12 months or french fries or asparagus etc.

These were 17 epidemiological studies and imo epidemiology is the weapon of mass confusion basically they take the percentile who consumes the most deep-fried food and correlate that to disease like cardiovascular and draw conclusions. Unfortunately that same percentile generally consume more calories, sugar, alcohol, smoke, processed food etc. Was it the potato chips or the possibly a combination of factors. A controlled double or triple blind study is the gold standard but they don't have any so they keep pitching the same format for just about any nutritional talking point.

Later in the article

"As the authors put it, "Fried-food consumption may increase the risk of cardiovascular disease" but they added that "the high heterogeneity and potential recall and misclassification biases for fried-food consumption from the original studies should be considered.

The researchers noted a number of limitations in their article including the fact that participants had to rely on their own memories, the fact that several of the studies they cited only examined one type of fried food (for instance, potato chips) and the fact that they are not certain about how specifically fried foods damage the body's cardiovascular system in such a way that increases the likelihood of disease."

things one should consider before blindly accepting the study:

authors:
Pei Qin1,2, Ming Zhang1,2, Minghui Han3, Dechen Liu3, Xinping Luo1, Lidan Xu4, Yunhong Zeng5, Qing Chen6, Tieqiang Wang7, Xiaoliang Chen7, Qionggui Zhou1, Quanman Li3, Ranran Qie3, Xiaoyan Wu1, Yang Li1, Yanyan Zhang1, Yuying Wu1, ORCID Hu1,2, ORCID Hu1,2

Funding This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant numbers 81373074, 81402752 and 81673260); the Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong Province (grant number 2017A030313452); the Medical Research Foundation of Guangdong Province (grant number A2017181) and the Science and Technology Development Foundation of Shenzhen (grant numbers CYJ20140418091413562, JCYJ20160307155707264, JCYJ20170412110537191 and JCYJ20170302143855721).

Supplemental material This content has been supplied by the author(s). It has not been vetted by BMJ Publishing Group Limited (BMJ) and may not have been peer-reviewed.

Okay, if you think too much fried food is NOT bad for you, shut up and eat your three meals a day of fried food. You may live to be 85, or may die at 45. Some people smoke cigarettes for 60 years and die in their 80s. Others die in their 30s from lung cancer. If you want to roll the dice, do it.

No brainer here. Fried food should be eaten in moderation for heathy people. If you have underlying risks, then fried foods may not belong in your diet at all.

I love a good Texas chicken fried steak, with mashed potatoes and fried okra, all smothered in white gravy. Heart attack on a plate. I only eat that meal about twice in a year. Eat that every Saturday for a while, and you may just have that heart attack.

CD

I only eat something fried about once every blue moon. Just about anything that's fried, it can also be baked or air-fried. I love baked chicken, fish & other foods baked. Canola oil seems to be far less fattening than soy bean oil. Nevertheless, we shouldn't eat so much fried food. Besides, think of all the splattered grease that you don't have to clean up on or around the stove. I sometimes make oven-fried chicken.

That's double for me because like most people, I had my gallbladder removed, & from what I was told, people who have had that done, they are not supposed to be eating any fried foods because the liver can handle all that grease, or something like that. The digestive juice called bile is normally stored there & without the gallbladder there's no place to store it. But people are better off without a gallbladder that's filled with gallstones. I DO eat something fried once in a great while, like I said. Moderation is the key. This usually is the case with most people from the South such as Paula Deen. She loves fried food! Most Southern cooks do. Our mom & dad were that way, & yes, they were from the South & they did it a lot also. They lived an unhealthy lifestyle. I want to live as long as I can. :whistling:

My maternal grandparents ate something fried every day of their life, whether it be fried eggs and bacon or fried chicken or country fried steak or fried fish, sometimes for all 3 meals of the day plus quick snacks, along with biscuits, mashed potatoes, etc, though there were always veges at lunch and dinner. My grandfather stayed rail thin his entire life, had few health problems and lived until his early 90s. My grandmother got round, developed diabetes fairly early, but did live into her late 70s. Here's the but, they were farmers. My grandfather worked hard every day of his life, rarely taking a day off, until he was in his early 70s. He then opened a general store, family pool hall type place. My grandmother worked hard too, maybe not quite as physically hard as him, but she was mostly in charge of the family garden (they grew a cash crop), she took care of the chickens, milked the cows, and slopped the pigs, besides cooking 3 meals a day, cleaning house, laundry, etc, until she just couldn't anymore. I don't think I ever saw her just sit down and not do anything, she was always mending clothes, snapping beans, shelling peas or nuts, just something.

So, yes, we all know fried food can be bad for you, but obviously hard physical activity mitigates the effects to various extents.

My maternal grandparents ate something fried every day of their life, whether it be fried eggs and bacon or fried chicken or country fried steak or fried fish, sometimes for all 3 meals of the day plus quick snacks, along with biscuits, mashed potatoes, etc, though there were always veges at lunch and dinner. My grandfather stayed rail thin his entire life, had few health problems and lived until his early 90s. My grandmother got round, developed diabetes fairly early, but did live into her late 70s. Here's the but, they were farmers. My grandfather worked hard every day of his life, rarely taking a day off, until he was in his early 70s. He then opened a general store, family pool hall type place. My grandmother worked hard too, maybe not quite as physically hard as him, but she was mostly in charge of the family garden (they grew a cash crop), she took care of the chickens, milked the cows, and slopped the pigs, besides cooking 3 meals a day, cleaning house, laundry, etc, until she just couldn't anymore. I don't think I ever saw her just sit down and not do anything, she was always mending clothes, snapping beans, shelling peas or nuts, just something.

So, yes, we all know fried food can be bad for you, but obviously hard physical activity mitigates the effects to various extents.

They should've taken a break now & then. It might've helped. As for their diets, I think that even though they kept up the housework every day of their lives, things were really working against them!

No breaks now & then, then eating fried food during every meal, it seemed to have spelled disaster for them. They worked hard, but they ate unhealthy. They lived a long life, but they didn't seem to care much about their eating habits. :thumbsdown:

They should've taken a break now & then. It might've helped. As for their diets, I think that even though they kept up the housework every day of their lives, things were really working against them!

No breaks now & then, then eating fried food during every meal, it seemed to have spelled disaster for them. They worked hard, but they ate unhealthy. They lived a long life, but they didn't seem to care much about their eating habits. :thumbsdown:
I think living into early 90s with very few medical problems and living into late 70s with diabetes was pretty darn good personally. And they did a lot more than housework, makes me think you didn't even read my post.

medtran49 - that's how my dad's side of the family ate. Just about everything fried or flavored in/with bacon grease and proper animal lard, heapings of meat every day, fried potatoes, green beans and ham with a ladle of bacon grease stirred in, greens with bacon grease, salad dressing made from bacon grease and vinegar.

My mom's side was more mashed potatoes, noodles, soups, big hams...a lot of the same foods, just less bacon grease.

My great-granddad made it to 89, his wife 102, my granddad 85, his brother 102, grandmom 96, and on my mom's side, both parents lived to mid 80's, but had more lingering health concerns. My dad's side, all pretty healthy up until they konked out.

I was raised the same way - bacon and sausage every morning, pork chops nearly every day, potatoes every meal, everything seasoned with bacon grease. Gravy on everything. I don't eat like that every day now, but I do somewhat regularly.

My folks have eggs, bacon, and salt-cured ham with red-eye every morning, seven days a week, and half the time, that's their evening meal as well. They're 83. I suspect my dad won't see 86, but my mom, I wouldn't be surprised if she lives another 10 years. She also has a lot of nervous energy, so she's always doing something.

Oh, I'll add my mom no longer has her gall blander and she's had some of her colon removed, but after a couple of years of trying to eat a healthy diet, she said she'd rather be dead if she had to eat that way, and went back to her bacon and eggs. :laugh:

Fried food, meaning the oil or grease of course, does not hurt everyone.

The latest research is finding this. Apparently some people are susceptible to it and others are not.

Cholesterol is like that. So is salt.

I fry in bacon grease, eat butter and salt and all that and my numbers are some that my doctors might envy. I got low cholesterol but a really good ratio of bad to good. My triglicerides are down there. My blood pressure is low and always was except for a high pulse pressure.

Like when you get 120/80 that is 40, the spread. Well I could be 160/90. The pump is definitely pumping.

Mostly, not knowing if you are vulnerable I would say to limit a few things, but not eliminate them completely. There is nutrition in that fat etc. Some vitamins only get into your body on fat.

And fat does not just make a beeline for your gut and sit there, carbs make you fatter. the fati s processed like anythng else, but usually less of it. The carbs so many people overeat to the tune of threee times what they shuld is what makes this a nation full of fat people. The food pyramid needs to be shreded, then burnt and then buried in the salt flats.

Want to get healthy ? A little example.

Cook a steak, (after all the other stuff) in fact it is better if it is not the best cut of meat and you have to use your teeth. Now let's say for an eight ounce piece of meat you take the SMALLEST potato you can find, it should be close to what the meat is. Then a veggie, for some the nuker is the best. A salad, A simple salad, no meat, croutons, moose ears or any of that.

That is just a ferexample. remember, potato smaller than the meat - in weight.

There are many more. Those pizzas we like are fine, but not every day.

Now food fried in hydrogenated IS bad. That means Crisco folks. Sorry. That also means margarine.

I should probably break out my low carb recipes, they are not really just what I did and do. (usually) (kinda)

T

Fried food, meaning the oil or grease of course, does not hurt everyone.

The latest research is finding this. Apparently some people are susceptible to it and others are not.

Cholesterol is like that. So is salt.

I fry in bacon grease, eat butter and salt and all that and my numbers are some that my doctors might envy. I got low cholesterol but a really good ratio of bad to good. My triglicerides are down there. My blood pressure is low and always was except for a high pulse pressure.

Like when you get 120/80 that is 40, the spread. Well I could be 160/90. The pump is definitely pumping.

Mostly, not knowing if you are vulnerable I would say to limit a few things, but not eliminate them completely. There is nutrition in that fat etc. Some vitamins only get into your body on fat.

And fat does not just make a beeline for your gut and sit there, carbs make you fatter. the fati s processed like anythng else, but usually less of it. The carbs so many people overeat to the tune of threee times what they shuld is what makes this a nation full of fat people. The food pyramid needs to be shreded, then burnt and then buried in the salt flats.

Want to get healthy ? A little example.

Cook a steak, (after all the other stuff) in fact it is better if it is not the best cut of meat and you have to use your teeth. Now let's say for an eight ounce piece of meat you take the SMALLEST potato you can find, it should be close to what the meat is. Then a veggie, for some the nuker is the best. A salad, A simple salad, no meat, croutons, moose ears or any of that.

That is just a ferexample. remember, potato smaller than the meat - in weight.

There are many more. Those pizzas we like are fine, but not every day.

Now food fried in hydrogenated IS bad. That means Crisco folks. Sorry. That also means margarine.

I should probably break out my low carb recipes, they are not really just what I did and do. (usually) (kinda)

T
Most editorials these days use click bait to draw in readers mostly so they can benefit from your data but that's another story, anyhoo. The disconnect basically happens when there is no understanding of portion and just accept that all fried food is bad. Too much soy, too much sugar, etc all can have very detrimental health consequences but because of the lack of good science fat has been the enemy since the early 80's. Now we have generational acceptance ( no selling job required) of this basic hiccup in that bad science. Of course the science was there back then that was in complete contradiction, but the low fat agenda prevailed.

This sounds a little better for science;

"Partially hydrogenated fats change plasma lipid levels in negative ways. They calcify cells and cause inflammation of the arteries, which are known risk factors in heart disease. They are not metabolized the same way as the trans vaccenic acid in ruminant fat and are not harmless." (first page of Google results)

I think they inhibit mineral uptake. And their crowning achievement, Olestra I believe goes so far as to strip some of the minerals away from the colon.

Another first results page goes straight into studies shown that olestra does not affect metabolism of nutrients. However a little further down we find;

"Olestra aims to reduce a food's fat and calories while maintaining its texture. Due to its chemical makeup, olestra is not digested or absorbed by the body. Thus, it may cause abdominal cramping and loose fatty stools"

Now if something like that doesn't at lest inhibit absorption I won the gold in the last Olympics for Women's gymnastics.

Some have hypothesised that it might even scrap off the inside of the intestine. This is where the smaller parts of the food you ate are with your digestive juices working on them. It is not supposed to be "clean".

This includes margarine. I will not eat it.

Now remember how you never knew what they were going to say next which is better for you, margarine or butter ?

I have since tended to err on the side of the old. What was here a couple hundred years ago ? Now remember those people lived.

And now here is a science that might just stay bad. Average human lifespan over the years.

So they say it is up. It is, but... They attribute it to better medicine but that is not right. The average did go up, but what is an average ? Take the total and add it up and divide, OK.

thing is, there were old people back then, 90 years old, live on a mountain or whatever. Plenty made it to 80. i tound this out to go way back as well. I had this encyclopedia on science, it haad inventor in it, I read it cover to vcover when I ws young but skipped the inventors and scientists. Well later I decided to look at the inventors and cientists and I find that many of them lived a quite long time.

The reason the average is so much lower is because throughout uch of history, young Men have been warriors. Some also died of guns, like a bank robbery or whatever, there were actuyally few gunfights butthey killed their share over the years. And yes, some medicine, when a kid can't get penicillin because it hadn't even invented yet you must chalk that up to improved medicine. But they were no way the whole story. And now dentists will tell you that your teeth going bad at 35 is normal because people only used to live that long so that is how long they are supposed to last. (lisp here - we have outlived our toothfulness . lOl)

Well some people thought it was a good idea to put explosives down underground to push the water up into the wells in a dry spell. Then they found out that put too much sulfur in it.

Anyway, this is long enough. Bad science iss a topic all its own really. Not sure if it belongs here though.

One thing, we all know baout lard, and tht it was used like in pie crusts which got taken over by YIKE Crisco. I wonder if they actually el it And for people who can't/don't eat pork then suet.

At least they are natural.

T

Back
Top Bottom