Frosting Save: Ran Out Of Confectionate Sugar

Sherry

Veteran
Local time
4:42 AM
I decided to bake a strawberry cake (boxed this time) with a cream cheese frosting this morning to go with my New Year's day meal of corned beef and cabbage with cornbread. As I was making the frosting I realized I was about two cups short of the amount of confectionate sugar necessary. Living pretty far out, I really didn't want to jump in the truck and head into town, so I decided to try putting a cup or so of regular sugar in my blender and trying that.
It worked fairly well. While not quite what I would call powdered, the blender ground the sugar fine enough to finish my frosting and it turned out really nice.

That sounds like a great innovation on your part. I have heard in the past that you could make a powder sugar substitute by blending it, but I have never tried it before. What was the consistancy of the sugar when you were done with it?

I have seen it done by a tv chef one time.it does work remarkably well as you can grind the sugar s fine as you want

Hi welsh dragon and Rosyrain.
That's the first time I've tried the sugar in the blender trick. I imagine it has been used a number of times before by others, though I'd never heard of it. At least not that I can remember.
I will definitely be doing it again.
The consistency when I called it quits on the blending and put it into my frosting was very fine. It was, as I said, not quite what I would call powdered but definitely very fine. I'm sure I could have gotten it finer still, but it seemed alright to me when I used it and did the job quite well.
I'm still trying to come up with how to describe the consistency.
Do you know how powdered sugar, though certainly not wet, has a kind of moistness to it? It feels just a little bit slick and silky where the sugar I ground felt drier than the regular powdered sugar. Dusty, sort of; and just the tiniest bit grainy.
I like to roll my doughnuts and fried pies in a cinnamon and sugar mix and, also, to sprinkle that same mix on the buttered tops of a lot of the muffins and sweet breads that I bake. I think from now on I will probably be putting the sugar for that mix through the blender. I have a feeling it's going to work extremely well for that purpose. Better, I expect, than the regular unblended sugar, which I've never had a complaint with.

Hi sherry. I know what you mean about the consistency of the very fine sugar. it does have a silky and moist appearance. It is a good description to use. We use it for making icing as well as for tossing dohnuts in as well.

I'm always running out of various kinds of sugar, but I have never tried to grind the sugar down myself. I will have to give it a go.

I am going to give it a try too. I could probably save a little money too by not having to buy 2 kinds of sugar. Now if I could only figure out a way to make my own brown sugar.

I've done the trick of putting granulated sugar in a blender. It works great. I remember that I found the tip online. People have been doing it for a while.

It really does work great. I'm not surprised people have been doing it for awhile or that you found the tip online. I'm surprised , though, that it didn't occur to me sooner, but perhaps my need wasn't great enough before. Or maybe I'm just that slow...hmmm. Think I'll go with the prior lack of need.

Do you know, I have always wondered whether doing that would work! Of course, it's still the same sugar isn't it, just more finely ground. What a great tip, it will also be cheaper than buying icing sugar too.

Of course, it's still the same sugar isn't it, just more finely ground.
You would have thought so wouldn't you, but that is not the case entirely.

It has other ingredients including anti caking treatments and confectioner's sugar can also contain corn starch, wheat flour or calcium phosphate to make it flow better and not stock together in lumps!

I believe the same stands true for confectioner's sugar and it is something that gluten free people need to be aware of.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdered_sugar

There is of course no reason as to why you can't make and successfully use your own, just don't expect it to last as well, so always bring it up as you need it and don't store it too long if you have excess. It absorbs water really well.

Back
Top Bottom