Frozen Juice Concentrate

smlewis00

Veteran
Local time
10:16 AM
Do you use frozen juice concentrate? Or do you prefer freshly squeezed juice? Does it make a difference to you or your family members?
Personally I prefer freshly squeezed juice. However, if I am in a rush I am thankful to have a frozen juice concentrate as an option. I also often find that frozen juice concentrate is cheaper. What do you think?

I don't think such a concept exists in the UK. I certainly have never even heard of it until today.
Personally I prefer to have an orange over orange juice, but if I had to choose between the 2, I would be going for freshly squeezed juice every time.
Do you have the long life fruit juices in tetrapaks that are not in the fridge section in supermarkets? Usually found with the squashes and fizzy drinks in the UK?

Never heard of this either. I always buy my juice in those tetrapaks, it's made out of concentrate but still taste quite good. I honestly can't remember the last time I would have squeezed my own juice.

I use concentrate juice. It's out of habit and convenience. The brand I buy the most is Minute Maid. They make a pink lemonade flavor that's wonderful.

minute-maid-frozen-beverage-25065.jpg

I use concentrate juice. It's out of habit and convenience. The brand I buy the most is Minute Maid. They make a pink lemonade flavor that's wonderful.

minute-maid-frozen-beverage-25065.jpg
I agree! Pink lemonade is delicious! my husband and I love it, especially on a hot summer day! Minute Maid is such a trustworthy brand! They have never let me down! I also use the Minute Maid orange juice conentrate in the mornings. It is very simple and easy to make. I prefer to have it fresh squeezed, but that is incredibly time consuming! Our morning tend to be rather hectic around here, so its great to have the concentrate as an option.

So that minute maid concentrate, it's a powder that you mix with water or something else?

So that minute maid concentrate, it's a powder that you mix with water or something else?
No, its not a powder. It's frozen. In the U.S. its in the freezer section of the grocery store. Its in a tube and is frozen.
"Concentrate juice, also known as fruit juice concentrate or concentrated juice, contains far less water than normal, or not-from-concentrate forms of juice. Through a set of advanced filtration and extraction processes, normal fruit juice becomes better suited for storage, shipping and resale in grocery stores and warehouses."
You can learn more about juice concentrate here: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/understanding-concentrate-juice.html

Thanks a lot for the explanation. Yeah I've never seen these in Europe, if it's stuff such as orange juice then, while being manufactured from concentrate, we get it from the store in the ready to consume state. There are quite a few 'juice concentrates' which are sold in their liquid form, but as far as I know these are more chemically made than natural.

I was kind of irritated when I discovered that much of the orange juice sold here in the US, even the stuff that isn't made from concentrate, is embellished with a lot of additional flavor enhancing chemicals to give it a more consistent taste and smell. In addition, the OJ itself can be squeezed and sit in large vats for nearly a year before being sold - who knows what they are doing to preserve it that long.

Regardless, I still buy it by the bottle and occasionally the frozen concentrated variety as well, out of convenience. I drink a lot of orange juice, and it's not practical or cost effective at all for me to keep buying bags or oranges and juicing them myself. You need like several oranges just to make one tall glass of it. Not to mention the hassle of cleaning up your electric juicer in the morning, when you are already in a hurry.

I was going to comment on my preference for fresh over frozen concentrate but wow I learned something instead. Frozen concentrate is a staple here in Canada and I assumed it was all over the world. The advantage, of course, is that you don't have to cart around a lot of water mass. The orange juice isn't bad and since orange trees in Canada aren't abundant, the concentrate is a better option than powdered. Juicing oranges is a waste of a perfectly good orange. Pink Lemonade is rather sweet, as is the pink grapefruit that is available. Limeade frozen concentrate is best for making margaritas as it is already slushy.

Back
Top Bottom