Frugality in cooking

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:29 AM
[Mod.Edit: This post and following few moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Here too..skins and all..I just cut the cores out and toss them in a bag..when I am ready to use them I take them out and thaw them in a bowl and then puree the whole thing with a hand blender..little bits of skin are left, but it doesn't bother me..sometimes I run them through a sieve if I want something finer...

I was bought up, to not waste anything, prolly coz my granddad served 4 years in a POW camp in Poland.
I make about 20 litres a year.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I was bought up, to not waste anything, prolly coz my granddad served 4 years in a POW camp in Poland.
I make about 20 litres a year.

Russ
My parents also taught me the same lessons. My dad was a child in Italy during the Great Depression, and a teen during WWII, and they had some lean times. You don't stop living that way just because times get better.

My parents also taught me the same lessons. My dad was a child in Italy during the Great Depression, and a teen during WWII, and they had some lean times. You don't stop living that way just because times get better.
I'm very frugal as well, my father was born in 1924 and my mother in 1927 and their families were not wealthy, so the depression hit them hard and those residual lessons were implemented by my parents. I reuse a lot of things whenever possible and I absolutely hate wasting food. I had to drill it into my children's heads to not put more on their plates than they could eat, they could always come back for seconds. When I was a kid I had to sit in front of my plate and finish everything that was on it. Twice I fell asleep in front of a plate of liver that I refused to eat. Mom quit trying to make me eat it after that (stubborn kid I was). I always encouraged my kids to taste and try new things but I never forced them to eat it, if they tried it and didn't like it, they didn't have to put it on their plates.

Yeah, me too. I experienced hunger due to another reason, but knowing hunger makes you care for reducing waste too.

I'm very frugal as well, my father was born in 1924 and my mother in 1927 and their families were not wealthy, so the depression hit them hard and those residual lessons were implemented by my parents. I reuse a lot of things whenever possible and I absolutely hate wasting food. I had to drill it into my children's heads to not put more on their plates than they could eat, they could always come back for seconds. When I was a kid I had to sit in front of my plate and finish everything that was on it. Twice I fell asleep in front of a plate of liver that I refused to eat. Mom quit trying to make me eat it after that (stubborn kid I was). I always encouraged my kids to taste and try new things but I never forced them to eat it, if they tried it and didn't like it, they didn't have to put it on their plates.
Exact same thing with me and tripe.

Russ

Yeah - I grew up in a family where there wasn't any money to spare. We were a working class family in council housing. I ate all that was given to me so far as I remember. Then I decided to become vegetarian at the age of 11 and my wonderful Mum and Dad accommodated that, which can't have been easy in the early 60's.

I try not to waste anything but at the same time I’m not frugal with friends and family,I’m really quite generous to them.
My wife on the other hand is very frugal, if our daughter wants stuff, she asks while my wife’s not about. I think being second youngest of nine set her up for that.

Russ

My mom would put food on our plates, and I had to eat everything on the plate, or like you, sit there until I did. I was determined to never do that to my kids (that I never had).

I try hard not to waste any food, but living alone, it is sometimes hard to finish some perishables before they go bad.

CD

I was brung up on a council estate in the 50s. My mum never worked; my dad worked at the (paper)mill.
We were never forced to eat anything at home, because my mum would only eat chicken. No meat, no fish, but the only vegetables were what we could grow in the garden. School dinners were another thing, mind you... a horror film.
Perhaps "frugal" is the wrong word here, and what you´re thinking of is making the most of all the ingredients. in that case, a hearty round of applause, because potato, carrot, parsnip peelings, bits of onion and onion skin, parsley stalks, etc., can easily be turned into a delicious stock.

Yeah - I grew up in a family where there wasn't any money to spare. We were a working class family in council housing. I ate all that was given to me so far as I remember. Then I decided to become vegetarian at the age of 11 and my wonderful Mum and Dad accommodated that, which can't have been easy in the early 60's.
Apparently the vegetarian thing didn't stick, bet you're glad!

My dad went into real estate after the Vietnam War ended and he retired, and suddenly I could eat steaks and he bought me horses. My other siblings were all grown by then as I was the youngest. Oh he bought me a car when I was 16, too. My older siblings were a bit disgruntled.

I was brung up on a council estate in the 50s. My mum never worked; my dad worked at the (paper)mill.
We were never forced to eat anything at home, because my mum would only eat chicken. No meat, no fish, but the only vegetables were what we could grow in the garden. School dinners were another thing, mind you... a horror film.
Perhaps "frugal" is the wrong word here, and what you´re thinking of is making the most of all the ingredients. in that case, a hearty round of applause, because potato, carrot, parsnip peelings, bits of onion and onion skin, parsley stalks, etc., can easily be turned into a delicious stock.
I don't know what school meals are like these days, but when I was growing up they were pretty awful

Apparently the vegetarian thing didn't stick, bet you're glad!

My dad went into real estate after the Vietnam War ended and he retired, and suddenly I could eat steaks and he bought me horses. My other siblings were all grown by then as I was the youngest. Oh he bought me a car when I was 16, too. My older siblings were a bit disgruntled.

Sounds like you enjoyed the good life. Vietnam was hard on a lot of people. I worked with a lady many years ago, occasionally she would have to go find her husband, his brain was scrambled, he’d go missing, only to be found up a tree hiding. Very sad

Russ

Back
Top Bottom