Fruit cake

rosacrux

Veteran
Local time
6:04 AM
Does anybody like fruit cake? For me, it is one of the worst things about Christmas. I love desserts, but fruit cake is one that I cannot eat. I have tried several recipes for it, and none has satisfied me.

Each to their own. I like fruit cake and also Christmas pudding (especially served with a splash of rum on it) but I know that it's one of those love-hate things.

All the more for those of us who do like.:wink:

I am not a fan of fruitcake.

What's hilarious is that a neighbor of mine (he's 12) asked me yesterday if I could make him a fruitcake or get him some. He says he LOVES this dessert. I was so surprised by his request.

So, there's definitely a segment of the global population that craves this food.

I only like one fruit cake and that is the Christmas cake I make. It is solid fruit & nuts but I omit all the ingredients I don't like, and add in more of what I do like. I also soak the fruit beforehand in a dry apple juice after it has been thoroughly picked over and all stems, stones and other crunchy bits removed - just picking over the fruit will take me an evening. I also love treacle or blackstrap molasses so that is used generously. Glace cherries are only added in very small quantities and quartered because I don't really like them much and dried sour cherries added. It's a very personal recipe, but the one thing I can't stand about fruit cake is when it is too spongy and more a Victoria sponge with fruit in it. It needs to be solid fruit and nuts for me to like it. And no candied peel - I hate it.
so as a rule, I only eat my own Christmas cake - no icing sugar or marzipan though - I don't like marzipan and my OH does not like icing sugar, so it is decorated in a Dundee cake style with whole blanched almonds on the top :D

Back
Top Bottom