Fruit salad ideas

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
4:10 AM
I am looking for some ideas for a fresh fruit salad to serve at our Independence Day BBQ this year. I do not just want to chop up a bunch of fruit and throw it into a bowl and call that a salad. I was listening to a commercial the other day about a restaurant in my area that is making craft fruit drinks with juices and different herbs and it got the wheels turning in my head. Do any of you have any fruit salad recipes that are a cut above the typical ones which just contain cut up fruit and berries? Salad ideas that incorporate fruit and fresh herbs would be appreciated!

I recently had a fruit salad that contained coconut, mango, and bulgur. I don't have the recipe, but I could probably list most of the ingredients from memory.
  • Bulgur
  • fresh mango chunks
  • chick peas
  • shredded coconut
  • cayenne pepper
  • cumin
  • feta cheese crumbles
  • mint
  • salt and pepper (*probably, and maybe not pepper but definitely some salt)
It was served on top of mixed greens, cold. It was out of this world. I imagine you could add other fruits to it (blueberries come to mind) and increase the flavor profile but maintain the basic taste.

Make a fruit syrup with whole 5 spice in it or at least star anise
Dice up some mango and pineapple and add to the chilling syrup , leave for a few hours to completly chill and taken on flavours..... Garnish with twisted cape gooseberries and vremefraiche seperatly , for the dating a pinch of chilling goes well with the pineapple

I bet anise would be a good spice to use in a fruit salad. It is not uncommon to read about herbs and spices being mixed with fruits and berries to make gourmet food items and smoothies. I really want to experiment and make some highly unusual fruit salads but I have to be careful so that I am not wasteful and make something that is going to taste gross.

I always make this kind of fruit salad.

Fresh Coconut strips
Fresh Apple cubes
Fresh Ripe Mango cubes
Pineapple Tidbits In can
Peaches Slice in syrup
Fresh Grapes
All purpose cream
Condensed milk
Grated cheese for garnishing

Mix all the ingredients together. Chill in the refrigerator before serving.

My family love this kind of fruit salad :)

I recently had a fruit salad that contained coconut, mango, and bulgur. I don't have the recipe, but I could probably list most of the ingredients from memory.
  • Bulgur
  • fresh mango chunks
  • chick peas
  • shredded coconut
  • cayenne pepper
  • cumin
  • feta cheese crumbles
  • mint
  • salt and pepper (*probably, and maybe not pepper but definitely some salt)
It was served on top of mixed greens, cold. It was out of this world. I imagine you could add other fruits to it (blueberries come to mind) and increase the flavor profile but maintain the basic taste.

That's an unusual combination, and sounds refreshing. I don't care for mango, but maybe I could substitute something else, like melon, for a similar consistency. This definitely sounds fit for a holiday celebration!

I so rarely have fruit salad but I'm inspired by these ingredients :D Maraschino cherries halved also go beautifully in fruit salad and honey dew melon, my favourite! Served with a little single cream or ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom