Funny Adventures in Camping.

CraigC

Guru
Local time
4:58 AM
Blue Springs Park, Florida
When I was 13, My family decided to go camping at this park. This was the first time I had seen a natural spring like this. The water was crystal clear and you could see the bottom at about 100 feet. There are signs that you could observe to clue you in on some environmental conditions. That water was so inviting! I remember running toward the dock in that clean white sugar sand, down the dock and the leap into the water. When I hit the water, I can remember being back on the dock, without getting wet. It was 94F ambient and the water was 72F. Now that might not seem a big difference in temperature change, but that water was bloody freezing!:eek: If I had been paying attention to my surrounding during my little jaunt to the dock, I might have noticed the watermelons corralled in net bags sitting in that 72F water or the six packs of sodas and beer in the same water, but noooooo! My fixation was on the water and getting into it as quick as possible! Be careful of the blinders we sometimes put on our senses!

Blue Springs Park, Florida
When I was 13, My family decided to go camping at this park. This was the first time I had seen a natural spring like this. The water was crystal clear and you could see the bottom at about 100 feet. There are signs that you could observe to clue you in on some environmental conditions. That water was so inviting! I remember running toward the dock in that clean white sugar sand, down the dock and the leap into the water. When I hit the water, I can remember being back on the dock, without getting wet. It was 94F ambient and the water was 72F. Now that might not seem a big difference in temperature change, but that water was bloody freezing!:eek: If I had been paying attention to my surrounding during my little jaunt to the dock, I might have noticed the watermelons corralled in net bags sitting in that 72F water or the six packs of sodas and beer in the same water, but noooooo! My fixation was on the water and getting into it as quick as possible! Be careful of the blinders we sometimes put on our senses!

Near Austin in Texas, there are a few spring fed rivers. They are very popular in mid summer here. The water is crystal clear. You just float down the river in a tire inner tube, with a net bag full of cold beer in tow. The water is more like 60-65F all year around. Getting in when it is 95-100F outside is a bit of a shock, but once you get used to it, it is wonderful.

Tubing Information | New Braunfels, TX

A note about the rules. Basically, don't be a dick, and don't make a mess -- take your trash out with you.

CD

We have the waimakariri river/stream 25 mins away. We used to take kids camping there. No charge but be a tidy kiwi. Some small pools along the sides.
Bill Hamilton designed the jet boat engine in a similar river.

Russ

Near Austin in Texas, there are a few spring fed rivers. They are very popular in mid summer here. The water is crystal clear. You just float down the river in a tire inner tube, with a net bag full of cold beer in tow. The water is more like 60-65F all year around. Getting in when it is 95-100F outside is a bit of a shock, but once you get used to it, it is wonderful.

Tubing Information | New Braunfels, TX

A note about the rules. Basically, don't be a dick, and don't make a mess -- take your trash out with you.

CD
Sounds like a neat place. Reasonably priced too.!!

Russ

Sounds like a neat place. Reasonably priced too.!!

Russ

Back in my college days, it was a bunch of students pitching in gasoline money to get down there and sleeping in sleeping bags on the ground next to the car. Oh, that and beer.

CD

Back in my college days, it was a bunch of students pitching in gasoline money to get down there and sleeping in sleeping bags on the ground next to the car. Oh, that and beer.

CD
Before I was 15 I didn't have a license so a bunch of mates wanting a swim on a hot day.eldest among us hired a horse float. About 10 people went. I've always been good at problem solving lol.
Russ

When camping, don't bring food into the tent!:roflmao: I was on a camping trip in Boy Scouts. My neighbor across the street was in the same troop and on this trip. I'm here to say that raccoons really love Cheetos and can figure out how to get into the most securely buttoned up tent! Ed learned that keeping Cheetos in a sleeping bag with you because you don't want to share isn't a good idea. It also means you get to share with the local residents without a choice while inciting your tent mates to kick you out! Ever see a bunch of freaked out raccoons in a small space? I don't remember who was making the loudest noises, us or the raccoons. I also have never seen a tent evacuated so quickly, both us and the raccoons. Ever tripped over and then trampled on by the same freaked out raccoons? The troop leaders thought we were all insane! Meanwhile Ed had located a stack of brooms and was busily throwing them, like spears at the fleeing raccoons. No raccoons were (Ed is a poor spear thrower) or Scouts were injured. However it was noted that many raccoons and Scouts were displaying signs of "Cheetal" on faces and hands.:whistling:

I wasn't on this particular camping/fishing trip, but at one such gathering, I do know my brothers were all detained by Indiana state park rangers for "liberating" some rowboats that had been put up for the season. It was off-season, mid-week, so no one was at the stand to rent them, so they just helped themselves.

When camping, don't bring food into the tent!:roflmao: I was on a camping trip in Boy Scouts. My neighbor across the street was in the same troop and on this trip. I'm here to say that raccoons really love Cheetos and can figure out how to get into the most securely buttoned up tent! Ed learned that keeping Cheetos in a sleeping bag with you because you don't want to share isn't a good idea. It also means you get to share with the local residents without a choice while inciting your tent mates to kick you out! Ever see a bunch of freaked out raccoons in a small space? I don't remember who was making the loudest noises, us or the raccoons. I also have never seen a tent evacuated so quickly, both us and the raccoons. Ever tripped over and then trampled on by the same freaked out raccoons? The troop leaders thought we were all insane! Meanwhile Ed had located a stack of brooms and was busily throwing them, like spears at the fleeing raccoons. No raccoons were (Ed is a poor spear thrower) or Scouts were injured. However it was noted that many raccoons and Scouts were displaying signs of "Cheetal" on faces and hands.:whistling:

Raccoons can get into almost everything. YETI coolers... piece of cake. Some friends even wedged a cooler under the back of their pickup truck once, and the coons got the cooler out from under the truck, dragged it 100 yards away, chewed it open, and ate everything.

I lock my food in my car, if my car is there. But, I have no doubt that some day raccoons will learn to open a car to get food. They may even learn to hot-wire the car and drive it away. :laugh:

I take a CO2 pellet pistol loaded with plastic pellets when I camp in Louisiana. The raccoons there are the worst, and most abundant. Some will walk right into your campsite while you are cooking/eating and demand your food. The plastic pellets don't injure the coons, but a shot to a tender area like their belly does get their total, undivided attention.

CD

Back
Top Bottom