Garlic spread (garlicci?)

zestery

Veteran
Local time
12:14 AM
I got the chance to visit the Fancy Foods show in San Francisco on Sunday, and among other lovely things discovered a creamy garlic spread from a local company (Aglio di Mirabella) which their website refers to as "garlicci". I hadn't come across the term before and googling it turns up their website first, so I assume they made it up, but man it is delicious!

I only had the honey dijon, but will eventually pick up the other flavors to try, but aside from recommending them I wanted to ask the hive mind here if anyone knows of other similar spreads? I am a mayo fan for my sandwiches, and love the heartier mustards, but if this is a thing I've been missing I would love to expand my sandwich spread experience :D

OH MY this sounds like HEAVEN! I absolutely LOVE garlic. I can eat it cooked or raw (sliced on a sandwich for a bit of a bite). I'm even one of the weird ones who doesn't care if her hands smell of garlic from cooking with it. I have to try and find this product..or at least something similar. Wonder if there are any recipes available for it....now you got my wheels a turning!

It sounds like they are selling roasted garlic essentially. You can actually make it yourself rather easily. Just cut the top off of a head of garlic, drizzle some olive oil over it, and roast it in the oven for about 30 minutes or so. The garlic will soften and sweeten, and all you need to do is squeeze each clove out into a container for storage. You probably have to eat it relatively soon before it goes bad, but that's not hard at all, lol.

I like both roasted and fresh garlic - each have a wonderful flavor. Sometimes I am craving that pungent kick though of fresh garlic, that the roasting kind of mellows out. Roasted garlic is pretty flexible too though, since you can add it to all sorts of spreads and condiments for some extra flavor. It would probably be great blended with some mayo for example.

It's sounds a lot like what you're describing is aioli, perhaps "garlicci" is the company's unique name for it! Not sure if it's exactly the same, but aioli is a really creamy spread (looks like soft butter or mayonnaise) made with tons of garlic, olive oil and egg yolks. I absolutely love it, though it's dangerous to be around because I'll eat an entire bowl of it. I'd recommend looking up recipes for aioli if you like garlic, whether it's the same as your beloved garlicci or not! :) Oh man now I'm in the mood for some garlic...

Back
Top Bottom