Geoduck

CraigC

Guru
Local time
8:27 AM
Picked up a couple of geoduck clams at a local Asian market.

36788-albums1135-picture8115.jpg

Two preparations.

36788-albums1135-picture8116.jpg

Not available here but then we have toheroas, banned from digging them ATM. Although some people were arrested recently with them in their possession. I have eaten these, and they are a delicacy.

Russ

They look similar to Ipswich clams also called steamers. They are a New England clam. We used to have a place called Tark's Clam Stand here which exclusively used these clams.

Toheroas look more like cuahogs to me. They look pretty big.

Geoducks are way different than any other clam I've seen. They are very ugly. I understand they are very tough, if not cooked exactly right. Aren't they a cold water clam? I never see them in stores here.

Normally, I travel a lot to Connecticut, and in the summer, I always head to the coast for some little necks and/or steamers. The trick is finding a place that purges their clams. I'm not into eating sand.

CD

Yes, they are a cold water clam, Pacific Coast. We slice the siphon/foot part very thinly and serve as a crudo with a citrus/chile sauce. The belly is fried with a panko crust.

They are an interesting and kind of gross thing to clean as they are still alive when you start to clean.

Last edited:
Yes, they are a cold water clam, Pacific Coast. We slice the siphon/foot part very thinly and serve as a crudo with a citrus/chile sauce. The belly is fried with a panko crust.

They are an interesting and kind of gross thing to clean as they are still alive when you start to clean.

Sounds a bit like Razor clams. Do you get those in the USA?

Toheroas look more like cuahogs to me. They look pretty big.

Geoducks are way different than any other clam I've seen. They are very ugly. I understand they are very tough, if not cooked exactly right. Aren't they a cold water clam? I never see them in stores here.

Normally, I travel a lot to Connecticut, and in the summer, I always head to the coast for some little necks and/or steamers. The trick is finding a place that purges their clams. I'm not into eating sand.

CD

They look more elongated to me than a Quahog.

Back
Top Bottom