Getting on with the neighbours?

I'm like LissaC with regards to unannounced visitors. No way, no how, and I've been known to come out of the house pretty aggressively if someone shows up and I'm in a bad mood already.

As far as neighbors - we've lived here 17 years now, 22 houses in our dead-end development, and I know the names of at least one person in four houses. We don't have block parties or neighborhood gatherings or anything like that.

I try to be the kind of neighbor who will do anything for you if you need it, but I don't really want to socialize. I've shoveled one neighbor's drive when they were sick, I get the mail for another neighbor when they're out of town (and they get ours), I've pulled a stuck neighbor out of the snow, and we watch a dog for our neighbor when they have to go away (saving them oodles on kennel costs), and I've even shared food with one, but not together. That's how we like it.

I'm with the both of you. Nobody comes into my house unless invited.
Yeah, I was that way before the pandemic, though we would have relatives stop by at times unannounced and hubby would let them in. Irritating.

Weve been here 30 years so our kids grew up with our neighbours. We all wave and nod to each other. We only have 1 real neighbour, who is indian so we chat over the fence from time to time. His kids are nice kids, always knock when a ball comes over the fence. Weve only had them and previous owners who recently both passed away. We are very lucky. Most people around me know me.
Last time I had unannounced visitors was mum and a dad with 2 teenagers started to preach about god. I told them to get their kids involved with sport instead of brainwashing then with your bullshit.
They quietly slipped away, my wife was wetting herself behind the door.

Russ

Yeah, I was that way before the pandemic, though we would have relatives stop by at times unannounced and hubby would let them in. Irritating.
When we first moved back here, my mom kept hinting that she wanted a key to our house, and finally had to tell her that wouldn't be happening, and she was irritated with me for a few days, but she got over it. :laugh:

When we first moved back here, my mom kept hinting that she wanted a key to our house, and finally had to tell her that wouldn't be happening, and she was irritated with me for a few days, but she got over it. :laugh:
Yeah, you could told her she might not like what she saw if she walked in unannounced with you and the missus being frisky on the couch!

We have similar ones here that say.
We dont love you jacinda
Fu$% off jacinda.
$35 I contiplated buying one.

Russ

I wouldn't even have contemplated a "F--k Off Trump" doormat. My "Go Away" doormat was aimed at the door-to-door salesmen and church people wanting to save my soul -- and I thought it was funny.

I would imagine there are "Go Brandon" doormats out there (Giggle it).

CD

O
I wouldn't even have contemplated a "F--k Off Trump" doormat. My "Go Away" doormat was aimed at the door-to-door salesmen and church people wanting to save my soul -- and I thought it was funny.

CD
our youngest grandson is terrified of trump. I know who brandon is. :)

Russ

I thought you seemed familar!
You know, they turned out to be really good neighbors, though my first impression of them wasn't that great.

The boyfriend was a siding guy, and one storm blew a few pieces of siding off our house. I never said a word about it to him at all, and a couple of days later, I pulled into the driveway and it was all fixed, and it wasn't siding at ground level, either. He had to get the extension ladder out.

He wouldn't do it every snowfall, but if it were a particularly bad one, he'd borrow a tractor with a rear blade on it to clear his driveway, and whenever he did that, he'd clear the bottom third of mine, where the snowplow piled it all.

I hated seeing them move.

CD
In Texas? That might go over in some areas of Austin, but not anywhere else. Someone would probably torch your house for have an anti-Trump anything.

You know, they turned out to be really good neighbors, though my first impression of them wasn't that great.

The boyfriend was a siding guy, and one storm blew a few pieces of siding off our house. I never said a word about it to him at all, and a couple of days later, I pulled into the driveway and it was all fixed, and it wasn't siding at ground level, either. He had to get the extension ladder out.

He wouldn't do it every snowfall, but if it were a particularly bad one, he'd borrow a tractor with a rear blade on it to clear his driveway, and whenever he did that, he'd clear the bottom third of mine, where the snowplow piled it all.

I hated seeing them move.
Yeah, I felt the same way about our neighbors. She had a key to our house and still does. Her husband always mowed that patch of grass by the road for us a couple of times a month. He took us to the airport on a Saturday morning in a snowstorm at 5:30 a.m., his day off and one of the only days he got to sleep in. And it was a hairy snowstorm, the roads were terrible. They had to de-ice the plane twice and they had snow plows out clearing the tarmac continuously for flights to take off. But we were going to Mexico and he got us to the airport, and by golly our flight made it out! He was/is a super handy guy, he knew how to troubleshoot issues with the HVAC and helped us out when we were having trouble keeping the pilot light in the furnace lit one year, and so much more.

But I used to cook seafood and send some over to him (the rest of his family hated it) so he was always really happy to do stuff for us.

In Texas? That might go over in some areas of Austin, but not anywhere else. Someone would probably torch your house for have an anti-Trump anything.

My neighborhood is a little different. There are about a dozen households on my street. Three are Black, two are Latino, two are Asian, and one is Lebanese. Oh, and the gay neighbor I have lunch with. When I told my mom I had three Black neighbors, she responded with, "Oh, that's not good." :laugh:

CD

My neighborhood is a little different. There are about a dozen households on my street. Three are Black, two are Latino, two are Asian, and one is Lebanese. Oh, and the gay neighbor I have lunch with. When I told my mom I had three Black neighbors, she responded with, "Oh, that's not good." :laugh:

CD
I wasn't thinking it would be one of your neighbors, especially since you told me you got on with some of them quite well. But any random redneck driving through who saw your anti-Trump propaganda is a different story!

Yeah, I felt the same way about our neighbors. She had a key to our house and still does. Her husband always mowed that patch of grass by the road for us a couple of times a month. He took us to the airport on a Saturday morning in a snowstorm at 5:30 a.m., his day off and one of the only days he got to sleep in. And it was a hairy snowstorm, they had to de-ice the plane twice and they had snow plows out clearing the tarmac continuously for flights to take off. But we were going to Mexico and by golly our flight made it out! He was/is a super handy guy, he knew how to troubleshoot issues with the HVAC and helped us out when we were having trouble keeping the pilot light in the furnace lit one year, and so much more.

But I used to cook seafood and send some over to him (the rest of his family hated it) so he was always really happy to do stuff for us.

The nickname for my house for several years was the neighborhood Home Depot, because of all the tools I own. I used to have a neighbor who moved to Scottsdale who was a good cook, too. He (and his wife) would invite me over for dinner, and I would always ask him, "What tools will I need to bring?" He couldn't do home repairs to save his life. I visit them whenever I am in Phoenix/Scottsdale on business.

CD

Back
Top Bottom