Getting your 5 a day

missbishi

Veteran
Local time
3:21 PM
In the UK, it is recommended that we eat five portions of fruit and vegetables per day. Does anyone else find this quite difficult? I can usually manage three, in the form of fruit juice in the morning, a banana as a snack and a serving of veg with my main meal. I don't like to have too much fruit in the house as it often goes bad before I get around to eating it.

Does anyone here have any tips or hints on how to increase my consumption without feeling like veg is all I'm having to eat?

Well you already have morning covered. Then just make sure that both at lunch and dinner you have a serving of vegetables, either with the main meal or as desert. Add in that banana snack and you've already got 4. The last one? Add one more snack (maybe around 2h after dinner?), have dried fruit around your office/home so you will automatically grab a few every now and then, or simply add it to your breakfast in the form of youghurt, sliced fruit with cereals or something similar.

I seen to recall reading somewhere that 4 or 5 dried apricots count as a single serving, but I can help thinking your easiest option would simply to be to add another serving of veg to your evening meal. It is not like you need a huge quantity to meet the 'quota'.

Back
Top Bottom