Getting your 5 fruit & veg a day

onions in it too and tomatoes so that is 6
Our only counts if there are 80g of each per serving
I'm presuming chilli peppers count so my latest recipe

Again, it need to be an 80g serving and nothing counts as 2 servings. The aim is variety. Otherwise I could claim 5 servings for the 400g of strawberries I picked from the veg plot. They only count as 1 serving because nothing over 80g counts.

A whole pepper counts as 2 so if I need to up my count I'll have one as a snack with something to dip it in like humous, salsa, peanut/soy...
Nothing counts as 2 servings (NHS guidance). It's a maximum 80g of something per serving. If you eat 160g of the same thing, it is still only 1 serving because there is no variety.

I raided the veg plot and came out with a healthy number of strawberries (1 serving)

2 dates count as another for today (1)
1 Lebanese cucumber (110g) 1 serving
Hummus was a half serving at lunch (½)
1 kiwi fruit (100g) (1)
1 serving of cherries (1)
1 glass of grapefruit juice (1)
Evening meal is anyone's guess. It's a vegan ready meal, that's mostly veg on some rice. Total weight in 350g, so I'll just say 2 servings given that I've not eaten any of the same veg today. (2)

Total 8½

I raided the veg plot and came out with a healthy number of strawberries (1 serving)

View attachment 93027

2 dates count as another for today (1)
1 Lebanese cucumber (110g) 1 serving
Hummus was a half serving at lunch (½)
1 kiwi fruit (100g) (1)
1 serving of cherries (1)
1 glass of grapefruit juice (1)
Evening meal is anyone's guess. It's a vegan ready meal, that's mostly veg on some rice. Total weight in 350g, so I'll just say 2 servings given that I've not eaten any of the same veg today. (2)

Total 8½
How lovely!

How lovely!
Thank you. I also found 4 ripe raspberries which tasted wonderful. I'm just waiting for the crop to ripen. We're going to have a lot of raspberries this year. <licks lips>. We used to grow them in the UK and they rarely made it from the garden to the kitchen despite the fact that the raspberries grew just outside of the kitchen window! Lol.

Our only counts if there are 80g of each per serving

Again, it need to be an 80g serving and nothing counts as 2 servings. The aim is variety. ...
variety is very important as each mineral and vitamin from each plant has to group up to make a balanced diet. Quality is also important, as low quality veggies grown on bad soil don't contain the high amount of nutrients like good organic veggies grown on good soil. A long ride through the country or a over the ocean lowers the quality even more. But that's getting expensive for me :speechless:

I'm not sure if I'll remember all that I've munched on today. It's been one of those days, but here goes .
  • 1 glass of grapefruit juice (1)
  • 40g tomatoes (½)
  • 120g Lebanese cucumber (1)
  • Hummus (½)
  • 100g Kiwi fruit (1)
  • 100g cherries (1)
  • 2 dried dates (1)
  • 4 dried prunes (1)
  • Evening meal (3 portions but some of that includes chickpeas and I've already had some with the hummus earlier, so 2½ (?)
  • I'm not counting the 30g snack of dried mushrooms because I suspect the salt levels were too high to count.
Total 9 portions.

Told you it was a munchie day!

Yesterday's food

Brekkie
200ml Grapefruit juice (1)
25g Blueberries (not enough to qualify)

Snacks during the day
100g Cherries (1)
125g Strawberries (1)
100g Kiwi fruit (1)
40g dried dates (1)

Evening meal
200g mushrooms (1)
½ an onion (120g) (1)
Broccolini (80g) (1)
Sweet potato fries cooked without oil in airfryer (100g) (1)

Total 9.

I raided the been plot this morning and came out with far more than my share of strawberries and raspberries... well I would have done if I hadn't have eaten them before I'd left the veg plot. (2 portions there)
Brekkie just the 1 prob for the grapefruit juice
And a snack later on of 100g red cherries which need consuming (another 1 there).

Evening meal isn't made yet, but that will contain more than a serving each of mushrooms and a whole large onion between us, so 2 more portions there. And I'll user the last portion of Broccolini between us, so another ½. Total 2⅓ and daily total only 6½ today.

I'm watching things carefully again at the moment because of the diet I'm on.

Today
Brekkie - 1 glass of grapefruit juice
Snack - 1 Lebanese cucumber (over 100g)
Snack - 1 large carrot (over 80g)
Lunch - 1 nectarine 90g of flesh
Treat - An unknown quantity of strawberries from the veg plot, but very definitely over 80g!
Evening meal - 1 portion of beans & peas in the soup, way over 80g but only counts as one because they are so similar in their nutritional profile.
Evening meal - Both the leeks and the fennel in the same soup were each over 80g per portion of soup, so 2 more there.

I'm not so certain about the can of tomatoes despite them being concentrated, so will play safe and not count them.

8 in total. That'll do. Provided i keep snacking on cucumber and carrots I should be fine, but tomorrow will be more interesting because the planned evening meal currently contains no portions at all and the veg plot hasn't anymore strawberries for a few days! Lol

Wow that's super low carb. I couldn't do that
It isn't all I eat in 1 day. It's just the fruit and veg that count towards your '5 a day'.

Today
Breakfast - 200ml Grapefruit juice
Snack - Dates & a prune
Lunch - 90g Nectarine
Evening meal - 100g Peas
Evening meal - 100g Carrots

I think that's it for fit and veg that counts. I've not eaten any cucumber today and I've not had anything else. Normally i get much closer to 8 or 9 portions a day.

What I've actually had today is a small portion (⅔rds of a serving) of Granola with home-made unsweetened soy yoghurt and a small portion (¼ serving) of blueberries.
My snack was some fresh dates & a prune.
My lunch was a vegan protein shake with a nectarine to follow.
Evening meal was ½ portion of brown basmati rice, a serving of orange glazed tofu and a serving each of carrots and garden peas.
I've had additional calories in the very low sugar/no added sugar lemon cordial, the coconut water and a glass of NotMilk.

MyFitnessPal tells me my calorie intake for today is around the 1168kcal mark of an allowance of 1280kcal. That breaks down to 167g of carbohydrates,... I've added the breakdown as an attachment. Yesterday was only 118g of carbs. I'm fine when I'm dieting because I try to ensure I get enough protein which means I don't miss the carbs at all. And I'm someone who can and has in the past eaten rice with it for every meal of the day for months on end. I love rice! And pasta and potatoes, potatoes more than pasta, but in trying to buy only protein pasta now just to try to get my protein levels higher now I've hit menopause.

Screenshot_20230202_204908_MyFitnessPal.jpg

Last edited:
I fond the DASH diet when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. It's very good and is also helpful for chronic kidney disease, which I also have. It recommends 5 portions each of fruit and veg, so may not appeal to everyone here.

I enjoy the challenge of managing my fruit and veg intake - fruit with cereal at breakfast time; a piece of fruit at elevenses time; soup at lunch time, usually with mushrooms/or some sort of veg added; a piece of fruit for dessert at lunch time - banana or half a tub of mixed fruit - a piece of fruit with afternoon tea; two portions of veg and a portion of fruit, usually blueberries, raspberries or strawberries,
with yogurt/custard/ any kind of milk pudding at tea/dinner/supper time, depending on what you call that meal. The piece of fruit in the afternoon is usually an apple or a pear, which I cut into four - makes the eating thereof less laborious.

I don't weigh my portions - just count one piece or a handful of fruit as one portion.

Back
Top Bottom