Girl scout cooking

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
9:03 AM
Have you experienced camping as a Girl Scout? I'm sure most of you would say that you had cooked in the camp out. But have you been taught to cook the non-traditional way? In one camping trip, our mother hen challenged us to cook an egg using only paper, match and candle. Whew, that's a hard one to crack. Grade schooler should not play with matches, hahahaaa. But wonder of wonders, we saw with our eyes that indeed you can cook an egg using only those implements.

Have you experienced camping as a Girl Scout? I'm sure most of you would say that you had cooked in the camp out. But have you been taught to cook the non-traditional way? In one camping trip, our mother hen challenged us to cook an egg using only paper, match and candle. Whew, that's a hard one to crack. Grade schooler should not play with matches, hahahaaa. But wonder of wonders, we saw with our eyes that indeed you can cook an egg using only those implements.
Fried or boiled?

Poached. But seriously I look up many of the old boy scout / girl guide camping recipes whenever we used to go camping [even in the safety dominated UK they can be fun].
PS - you can even cook bacon and eggs in a paper bag on a campfire [check out the internet]
Can you make a proper cuppa though, in a paper bag?

So how do you poach and egg in a paper bag? And why do you need a candle and a match? Do you just hold the candle (lit by the match) under the paper bag containing the egg?

Wow - that sounds like a tough challenge! I've never cooked like that, but it does sound kind of fun - thinking outside the box, and all that!

I think it's a good way for kids to learn about cooking. I think if there's girl scouts near where I live, I'd get my daughter involved when she's old enough.

So how do you poach and egg in a paper bag? And why do you need a candle and a match? Do you just hold the candle (lit by the match) under the paper bag containing the egg?
You need something to light the candle with!

Cooking the bacon and eggs in a paper bag is an awesome idea. I just watched the video and next weekend on our camping trip I am going to give it a try. It sounds like an awesome breakfast idea to me. Thanks.for sharing the video. First time I seen it and I am really I impressed.

Nice comments here. Yes, there are many ways to cook food when you are in a camping trip and it's really a challenge to your creative juices. When our mother hen said that we would start fire using bamboo, we girl scouts hastily spread out to gather dried bamboo sticks and poles. It didn't occur to us that making fire from bamboo uses the fresh bamboo that you shred the outer layer like thin strips of ribbon. It was really an experience that I couldn't forget. What a learning we got in those camping trips.

Cooking outside of a conventional kitchen is all about making the most of what you have ,what you can find ,coooking of coals or hot rocks ,I've used a locker as a oven ,I loved cooking with the scouts when my boys were in the scouts ,making great dishes from fresh with limited produce,
Cooking in the field was a art for me ,I've cooked with various field cook sets for hundreds of people ,even taken part in completions producing very interesting foods with given ingredients and a bit of foraging ,and I was good at it

Back
Top Bottom