Girl scout cooking

Having looked at the video, I still don't understand how an egg on its own would work. Don't you need to grease the bag as shown in the video (where he uses bacon to grease it) to prevent the bag catching fire? Or is that what the candle is used for, in some way...? Please explain @Corzhens! Also (minor point perhaps) this egg is cooked using paper, not a paper bag.

Egg In A Tin.jpg

Having looked at the video, I still don't understand how an egg on its own would work. Don't you need to grease the bag as shown in the video (where he uses bacon to grease it) to prevent the bag catching fire? Or is that what the candle is used for, in some way...? Please explain @Corzhens! Also (minor point perhaps) this egg is cooked using paper, not a paper bag.

I don't know how the video does it but that is the tricky thing - be careful that the paper would catch fire. The cooking is done very, very slowly by just heating the paper while the egg is there with a little or even without oil. When it was done by the mother hen, we girl scouts tried it but some had the paper burned. You can imagine the shouting of the children, hahahaaa. It was really fun because we had tried something that looked impossible.

I don't know how the video does it but that is the tricky thing - be careful that the paper would catch fire. The cooking is done very, very slowly by just heating the paper while the egg is there with a little or even without oil. When it was done by the mother hen, we girl scouts tried it but some had the paper burned. You can imagine the shouting of the children, hahahaaa. It was really fun because we had tried something that looked impossible.
Yes, I suppose if you held the paper very close to the flame, but not so close it would catch fire, it could work. I've now got a stupid urge to try it. Luckily I have no candles and I'm not crazy enough to go out and buy some for this purpose! :D

Yes, I suppose if you held the paper very close to the flame, but not so close it would catch fire, it could work. I've now got a stupid urge to try it. Luckily I have no candles and I'm not crazy enough to go out and buy some for this purpose! :D
You know you want to try it though!

Back
Top Bottom