Giving up smoking

It's pretty scary. I've seen it on the news. If you have it in your pocket, your pocket can catch on fire, or it's exploded in some people's faces. too scary for me.
To be fair most of those 'incidents' were slightly biased reporting. One was when the individual in question had an exposed battery in their pocket with a load of loose change and it shorted out [surprise surprise] and another was someone who recharged his E cig with some form of ordinary battery charger [ !! ] something you are clearly told never to do - of course the tiny battery exploded. The chief fact in the E Cig debate is that despite hundreds of test actually aimed at proving how they might be dangerous nothing has yet been found. Only the government is losing as they cannot tax the things and now they are losing the revenue on tobacco they are desperately looking for something else to tax - hence [here in Britain at least] the subtle introduction of a tax on 'sugary' drinks - absolutely nothing to do with the nation's health

Started smoking when around 12, has a wee gardening job so had my own money. Was as an adult smoking 30 to 40 a day. Acupuncture worked for a week, then cold turkey with patches for a year. Now smoke free for 12 years.
Still miss the odd cigar.

Russ

Now smoke free for 12 years.

Well done!

One thing I remember reading as advice was to try to work out what kind of smoker you are and then find a 'replacement' for it depending on the type. So you ask yourself firstly, when during the day do I smoke: after meals for example or perhaps when I drink a coffee or perhaps when I'm trying to concentrate on a problem. Then you try to work out if you are smoking for pleasure or whether it is to relieve stress. Of course, it might be both!

Are you an ex-smoker? Or perhaps you are currently a smoker. @Wandering Bob mentioned in another thread that he has just given up. What are your experiences of trying to give it up? What are the good things about stopping the habit? And do you have any tips or tricks?

I used to smoke heavily but eventually managed to stop quite a few years ago by using a nicotine replacement system (this was before the days of vaping). It took me a year on nicotine replacement to finally stop but two benefits became very obvious: the nasty cough I had disappeared within a week and suddenly, food tasted much better!

I most sincerely congratulate @Wandering Bob for quitting smoking!

I quit smoking TWICE, from '86 to 88 & from September, '94 to not smoking at all now. It's been close to 25 years for me now!! :wink:

Last edited:
Mg, I can't quote for some reason. I suck on peppermints as a replacement. I've never felt better. Btw I had no choice in giving up. Giggle ruptured oesophagus, that was me 12 years ago. Operation then 10 days in a coma.

Russ

Giggle ruptured oesophagus, that was me 12 years ago. Operation then 10 days in a coma.

That sounds very very bad. Well done for giving up and sticking to it.

To quote, you can simply click on reply (bottom right) on the message you want to quote. The whole message will then appear in quotes at the top of your reply.

If you only want to quote part of someone's message you can highlight that part like this:

fullsizeoutput_3a4c.jpeg

Then either click on Reply and the text will automatically be quoted in your reply. If you click on Quote the text will be added to 'multi-quote' so that you can quote several pieces of text in your reply.

My colleague is a smoker and has asked colleagues to pick up cheap ciggies on their way back form their holidays, she hasn't asked me because she knows I would refuse.

I've heard them all. The excuses come fast & furious;
1. Oh,I cant stop smoking now

Maybe next week. Maybe New Year's! I'll stop smoking then & make it my New Year's resolution. I'll quit on my next birthday. My doc thinks that I should quit smoking, but I don't know I have not decided yet!

The excuses pile up like concrete!! :headshake:

My dad was raised during the Great Depression, served in WWII, was a NYC fireman for 20 years, and raised 6 kids with my mom.

He said quitting smoking was one of the hardest things he ever had to do in his life.

So, concrete?

I used to smoke for like 6 years, but when I was going to get married, I decided to quit smoking. I wanted to get rid of this habit until my wedding, so I had a little bit more than 6 months. First of all, I was looking for the most effective methods on the Internet, but after reading an article on VapingDaily, I thought of buying a vaporizer. And it did work out! Quitting smoking didn't seem to be suffering for me. On the contrary, it was quite fun to try something new. And I do agree - I feel much better after quitting.

Back
Top Bottom