Gluten free by necessity or by choice?

I think a lot of people who were gluten intolerant back then did not know what was wrong with them and they certainly weren't going to be discussing openly their bowel movements. At our age, it's a topic for discussion among good friends at times without much embarassment, but teens and early 20s? Not unless you wanted to be the "butt" of many jokes!

My friend's husband is gluten intolerant and didn't know what was wrong with him. He developed the gluten sensitivity as he got older and it got worse in his late 40s (he is mid 50s now). He likes to go running, and one of his daughters noticed he came home regularly without socks on, knowing full well that he had them on when he left the house. When he told her what happened to the socks as he was jogging in that rather secluded path in the woods of the park, she was obviously disgusted and said, "Dad, you need to go see a doctor!" And that's when he was diagnosed by an MD. He has no loose issues these days since going gluten free and everything is quite solid, if you get my drift.
I'm sad that she was disgusted.

My daughter is gluten-free by necessity - she has coeliac disease. The choice in our local Tesco's freezer aisle is abysmal - currently no ready-cooked meals and a poor choice of mains- lots of fish products, which she doesn't like, some chicken, occasionally sausage rolls and steak and gravy pies. The space where there used to be more products for sale has been taken over by vegetarian, vegan and plant-based foods. There are gluten-free sausages in the next cabinet along and also some beef quarter pounders. You have to go to the normal chiller aisle to get more choice of gluten-free products, but even there they don't always have a lot in stock. They used to have a Katsu chicken curry with jasmine rice, which she loved, but they stopped stocking that. I found a g-f katsu curry sauce and a g-f jasmine rice and now just use those along with g-f breaded chicken goujons.

My daughter is gluten-free by necessity - she has coeliac disease. The choice in our local Tesco's freezer aisle is abysmal - currently no ready-cooked meals and a poor choice of mains- lots of fish products, which she doesn't like, some chicken, occasionally sausage rolls and steak and gravy pies. The space where there used to be more products for sale has been taken over by vegetarian, vegan and plant-based foods. There are gluten-free sausages in the next cabinet along and also some beef quarter pounders. You have to go to the normal chiller aisle to get more choice of gluten-free products, but even there they don't always have a lot in stock. They used to have a Katsu chicken curry with jasmine rice, which she loved, but they stopped stocking that. I found a g-f katsu curry sauce and a g-f jasmine rice and now just use those along with g-f breaded chicken goujons.

I can't move 20 feet inside my local stores without seeing "Gluten Free" on a package label. Granted, a lot of things are naturally gluten free, so all the manufacturer had to do was change the label.

CD

I can't move 20 feet inside my local stores without seeing "Gluten Free" on a package label. Granted, a lot of things are naturally gluten free, so all the manufacturer had to do was change the label.

CD

I cannot remember seeing anything in the supermarkets here quoting "Gluten Free". Of course it could be written in Thai text (which I'm embarrassed to admit I wouldn't understand) or maybe Asians don't have a problem with gluten?

Last edited:
I cannot remember seeing anything in the supermarkets here quoting "Gluten Free". Of course it could be written in Thai text (which I'm embarrassed to admit I wouldn't understand) or maybe Asians don't have a problem with gluten?

Asians consume a lot of rice, which is gluten free. Even things like rice noodles. In the US, a package of rice noods in the supermarket would probably have "Gluten Free" in bold letters on the package these days.

CD

Asians consume a lot of rice, which is gluten free. Even things like rice noodles. In the US, a package of rice noods in the supermarket would probably have "Gluten Free" in bold letters on the package these days.

CD

Seriously, without looking it up, I wouldn't have a clue what foods contain gluten.

I think at one time or another everything we eat, drink or breath has been tagged as unhealthy. I eat whatever I want to eat, just in moderation.

As do I.

Unfortunately, I am not known to drink in moderation.

As do I.

Unfortunately, I am not known to drink in moderation.
LOL. A six pack of beer normally lasts me for 2 or 3 weeks. I drink wine with dinner perhaps twice per month. That's about all I can handle. My tolerance to alcohol is unusually low. I have a low tolerance to chocolate also. I have to eat it in ridiculously low amounts. Bad because I love chocolate like most people.

Back
Top Bottom