Going out to Thanksgiving Day Dinner

Pat

Veteran
Local time
5:36 AM
This year my birthday is on Thanksgiving. My family and I get together on Thanksgiving with everyone cooking something. This year because it is also my birthday I have asked the family if it would be possible for us to go out to one of the really nice restaurants for dinner. It would be the first for us.

Anyone here ever go out to dinner for a big holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Well, people do that here for Christmas sometimes. But you need to book months ahead. Some people go away for Christmas to hotels which provide entertainment as well as Christmas dinner. I quite like the idea!

This year my birthday is on Thanksgiving. My family and I get together on Thanksgiving with everyone cooking something. This year because it is also my birthday I have asked the family if it would be possible for us to go out to one of the really nice restaurants for dinner. It would be the first for us.

Anyone here ever go out to dinner for a big holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas?
Yes, I have gone out the past few years, but I think I will cook Thanksgiving this year, as it has been awhile and I do enjoy cooking. It is one of the things that we can take advantage of when cooking so that we have the type of experience we can all enjoy. It is just easier for all concerned and my son, and friend both live about 80 miles from here so it is better if we meet up there.

We have decided to go out for Thanksgiving dinner this year. It will be a first for us, usually we make a big meal at home. This year, though, we aren't having any guests and since it's just the 4 of us, we figured we give it a try. We've made reservations at a Brazilian Steakhouse that is having a specialized menu for the holiday.

I don't think I have ever gone out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. We like to all get together and make a huge feast for both meals. I really like having leftovers for a couple of days too, so I think I would be disappointed if we went out for out meal and I did not get to enjoy leftovers.

Our Thanksgiving is observed inside our home. But we try to have something special like pasta. For this Thursday, we will be having Chinese noodles because our housemaid's birthday falls on that day. The noodles signify long life, according to Chinese tradition so we usually have that or spaghetti for birthdays. On Friday we will be leaving for Singapore and a friend there promised to treat us to a turkey dinner. I am excited because I haven't tasted turkey yet, much more the Thanksgiving turkey with stuffings.

I don't think I have ever gone out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. We like to all get together and make a huge feast for both meals. I really like having leftovers for a couple of days too, so I think I would be disappointed if we went out for out meal and I did not get to enjoy leftovers.

This is how I've felt for many years, but this year we won't be having a lot of family and friends gathering with us. I am starting to feel a bit guilty as I wonder if the restaurant staff would rather be home with their families, though.

My brother works in a restaurant/pub that is open on Christmas Day and it is always fully booked from early summer onwards!
People simply don't want the 'hassle' as they see it of cooking on Christmas Day, so they eat out instead.

Back
Top Bottom