Going Vegetarian this September

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
6:25 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Basically as a mental cleanse (the liver does the biological cleanses just fine, thank you).

So anyhow I plan to eat vegetarian (with two provisos) that month.

If I'm invited to dine at someone's house, I'll eat what I am served. After all, I'm not "really" a vegetarian, and I don't need to have people pander to a momentary change.

I will be eating (my) eggs, and I will eat dairy, but limited on that level.

When I help out at a country fair for a really long and full day early in September, I'll eat meat. I mean, the vegetarian options there are "Deep Fried Oreos" and the like. Yes, I could bring my own food, but this is MY month of planning, so my decisions.

Anyone else do temporary vegan or vegetarianism? (At least a month?) I did this once before and I found it worthwhile.

I have, but not in the way of stating it out as a goal, I just didn't feel like meat for a period.

Decades ago, when I needed to lose weight, I pretty much survived on cold cereal, vegetables, salads, and water for a bit over a year. It was easier than I thought.

Usually, when I do that, it's sometime over the summer, because I generally don't feel well in hot weather anyway, and it cuts down my appetite. I love winter in part, at least, because of all the extra-heavy foods that go so well with the season.

I plan to eat vegetarian (with two provisos) that month.

Easy for me! Its vegan that's trickier IMHO. As long as I have eggs, I'm happy. Although I do adore shellfish and caviar...

Anyone else do temporary vegan or vegetarianism? (At least a month?)

I was vegetarian when a young teen through to early 20's. I'm sure I've done many a week or more recently as vegetarian. I really don't notice it, so I can't be sure. When my vegan son and vegetarian daughter lived with us I frequently cooked all vegan meals.

The time when I did this before, it was two weeks vegetarian, two weeks vegan, and two weeks vegetarian again - along with no gluten through the duration. I wasn't raising my own hens for eggs during that time. So, this one is less stringent.

I do eat a lot of vegetarian meals without noticing, however.

I love vege curry and also vege samosas, both vegetarian. In fact about 6 weeks ago I cooked a curry night, I got rave reports on my vege curry. I couldn't go a month on it though. I need meat almost every day,in some form or other. Good luck on your quest. We have dry July here raising money by not drinking alcohol for a month. I couldn't last two days,lmfao.

Russ

I won't be joining you so to speak with me already being totally vegetarian (36 years now) minus all dairy of any form anywhere (10 years) (due to a potentially fatal allergy to even the tiniest trace amount of dairy proteins) or vegan plus (my eggs) and the very occasional local honey (10 years).

However, you do have my support!

I wasn't as vegetarian as I'd planned, due to some logistics. I am going to do this more forcefully this coming February, where I will be entirely vegetarian - while eggs will still be in the plan, dairy will be diminished to dairy containing no animal rennet. I did eat a lot more vegetarian this past month than usual, and I've enjoyed these recipes.

Is there any particular reason for going all-out on the vegetarian thing? Could you just do a gradual shift to getting most of your nutrition from vegetables, and less from meat and dairy?

Most of us Mercans eat too much meat, but we have evolved as omnivores, so meat still has a place in the human diet. But, maybe not as much of it.

Just curious.

CD

Back
Top Bottom