Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares

Termyn8or

Local time
6:45 AM
The Gordon Ramsay show. I have seen quite a few.

So to outline it, first he goes in and eats the food, he always says it is disgusting with very few exceptions.

Another thing is that he knows when he is seved something out of a microwave, and also has found things served that are hot on the outside yet cold on the inside.

That brings us to my first question - Has ANYONE ever gone to a restaurant and found the food cold on the inside ? Not never have but usually I don't order baked things except for pizza.

I would not order say - lasagna at a restaurant because quite frankly mine is better. Same with the pasta dishes like spaghetti etc. Now if I had to make it for a restaurant I would get small pans that make enough for two servings, put it all together and NOT bake them right away. Those go in the microsecond an order is placed. All the other stuff comes next. If too much accumulates then offer it for one day at half price as long as it holds out.

I disagree with Ramsay on a few things, like spaghetti sauce, you can freeze it. In fact at the house when we made a big vat we separated the meat out. it freezes fine and thaws fine.

That is not to say everything does.

Anyway, then he goes in the kitchen and watches a bunch of people who never figured out how to organise the place. Working haphazardly and not paying attention.

Then he goes into the reefer units and freezers and finds rats, roaches and birds, whatever. He says shuit it down. Then some lameo tells them to go home. Anyone with an ounce of brains would put some thought into it; Sorry folks, stop eating. We have a serious problem in the kitchen and must close now. We do not want sick customers, so pick up a [whatever] on the way out and it is a discount coupon for when we solve the probem".

Then he plays shrink, marriage counselor and drill instructor. He throws the menu straight out and instead of 100 items they got like 20. Much easier to keep stock for I guess, eh ?

Any thoughts ? Do you want to just go to a random place now knowing how bad it can be ?

Just some random Friday night thoughts. RSVP if you feel like it.

And by the way I am a total slob, except for when cooking. When cooking I do not like food sitttng out uncovered for more than few seconds. When cooking I wash my hands all the time. I observe the rules about meat and what goes on the chopping block.

T

Has ANYONE ever gone to a restaurant and found the food cold on the inside
Yes. Ordered some kind of overloaded stuffed French toast (that stuff with cream cheese in the middle) at Bob Evans several years ago and it was scalding hot on the outside and still frozen in the middle.

I've also gotten a doughnut like that, where the filling was frozen. Obviously, the bakery made them and froze them, and didn't set them out long enough to thaw.

And now that I think about it, I ordered a Cornish pasty at a local Celtic festival a few years ago, and it was pretty cold in the middle - not frozen, but refrigerator-cold.

The Gordon Ramsay show. I have seen quite a few.

So to outline it, first he goes in and eats the food, he always says it is disgusting with very few exceptions.

Another thing is that he knows when he is seved something out of a microwave, and also has found things served that are hot on the outside yet cold on the inside.

That brings us to my first question - Has ANYONE ever gone to a restaurant and found the food cold on the inside ? Not never have but usually I don't order baked things except for pizza.

I would not order say - lasagna at a restaurant because quite frankly mine is better. Same with the pasta dishes like spaghetti etc. Now if I had to make it for a restaurant I would get small pans that make enough for two servings, put it all together and NOT bake them right away. Those go in the microsecond an order is placed. All the other stuff comes next. If too much accumulates then offer it for one day at half price as long as it holds out.

I disagree with Ramsay on a few things, like spaghetti sauce, you can freeze it. In fact at the house when we made a big vat we separated the meat out. it freezes fine and thaws fine.

That is not to say everything does.

Anyway, then he goes in the kitchen and watches a bunch of people who never figured out how to organise the place. Working haphazardly and not paying attention.

Then he goes into the reefer units and freezers and finds rats, roaches and birds, whatever. He says shuit it down. Then some lameo tells them to go home. Anyone with an ounce of brains would put some thought into it; Sorry folks, stop eating. We have a serious problem in the kitchen and must close now. We do not want sick customers, so pick up a [whatever] on the way out and it is a discount coupon for when we solve the probem".

Then he plays shrink, marriage counselor and drill instructor. He throws the menu straight out and instead of 100 items they got like 20. Much easier to keep stock for I guess, eh ?

Any thoughts ? Do you want to just go to a random place now knowing how bad it can be ?

Just some random Friday night thoughts. RSVP if you feel like it.

And by the way I am a total slob, except for when cooking. When cooking I do not like food sitttng out uncovered for more than few seconds. When cooking I wash my hands all the time. I observe the rules about meat and what goes on the chopping block.

T
You are not writing about He!!'s Kitchen. I believe what you are referring to is Kitchen Nightmares. Need to get your facts correct.

Yes folks, it appears I confused the shows. It is Kitchen Nightmares.

T

Anything to do with GR is a nightmare, IMO. 😒
I have to agree with TastyReuben. I know Ramsey does it for ratings but I think it's dysfunctional for people to want to see someone treat other people like crap. It's probably a good thing that I'm not in the restaurant business because I would probably poison him if he came in my restaurant. :D What a truly despicable person (I refuse to call him a man. Real men don't act like that).

Yes, I've had food that was not heated through. It mostly happens at diner type places. I'm a bit paranoid about sending food back because of the horror stories I've heard about food service people doing nasty stuff to food that's send back. I just politely ask for a take-away container and take it home to heat myself or pick at it as to not make any companions feel uncomfortable.

I ordered a curry at a local café and the curry was hot (from a microwave) but they obviously put the rice on after microwaving it , the rice was totally frozen. They gave me a totally hot meal for free and my wife had a free meal. :happy:

Last edited:
I took DD and DGDs out for lunch 1 time to an "Italian" restaurant chain known for its all you can eat bread sticks and salad. It was where they wanted to go. I wasn't terribly hungry so decided to get their calamari appy. Our food came and the first couple pieces of calamari were fine. Then I tried to pick up the next piece. It was stuck to another, used my knife to break apart and discovered there was a solid mass lumped together that was hard as a rock. Yep, still frozen. Called waitress over told her and sent it back. She apologized and asked if I wanted another, told her no. Then asked if I wanted something else, no, thank you. Manager then came over apologizing and trying to give me something else for free. Told him no too. I just wanted out of there at that point. Kids finished eating, I paid for their meal, mine had been removed from check, and left.

Another time, we went to an Italian place that had really good reviews. Craig ordered their lasagne and I ordered a special that had "Italian bacon" listed as 1 of the ingredients. We got our food. Started eating. Craig's was ice cold in the middle. Asked the waiter about the "Italian bacon" in mine because it certainly didn't taste or look like pancetta, which I told him. Said he'd have to ask kitchen and took Craig's lasagne to get it heated. He came back in a few minutes with Craig's lasagne that was hot, but burned to a crisp on top. And with an answer that if was regular cured bacon. Needless to say, we got up and left, picking up a pizza from our favorite place on the way home.

Oh, forgot about another place. It was another Italian chain. Their name had the name of a common pasta shape (think the Yankee doodle dandy song) and grill in it. I don't know if they are even still in business. They had fairly decent food for the most part. At least until the last time we went there. I ordered a seafood pasta dish that had little neck clams in it. When it was served, I immediately noticed most of the clams were still closed so brought that to the waiter's attention. Instead of letting him take the whole dish back, I removed the clams to the bread plate so he could bring back new clams. Well, he came back in a few minutes with open clams. Only thing though, they had been forced open, broken in places and pieces of shell were in the clams. Called the manager over and pitched a fit over them serving me clams that weren't open in the first place and then bringing me back clams that were forced open. I wasn't particularly quiet about it either. Asked him if they didn't have any quality control in kitchen and if they were trying to make customers sick by serving them potentially bad seafood. All he could do was stammer and apologize, as other diners were aware there was a big issue by that time. I finished my dish without clams and we got a free meal. And we never went back. I also stopped ordering seafood in restaurants after that, other than high end places that we've been to previously and had land based meals that were good.

I also remember getting little breakfast burritos from McD's (the only breakfast item I'll get there) and finding those nearly frozen in the middle. Reconstituted egg slush...mmmmmm...

Gordon is really nice on "MasterChef" and especially on "MasterChef Junior". It is that Ass Hat, Joe Bastianich who really sucks!

Back
Top Bottom