Gravy Thickeners

CraigC

Guru
Local time
5:26 AM
What do you use in different dishes?

My Oma made Sauerbraten und Kartoffelklossen. The gravy for the Sauerbraten was thickened with ginger snap cookies, usually homemade.

For Asian dishes I use a cornstarch slurry.
For just about everything else I use a butter and flour paste added to hot liquid (usually for stew/pot roast etc. ) or a cooked butter and flour roux (for gravy).

All-sorts. For gravy usually cornflour slurry, sometimes mustard, occasionally a spoonful of cranberry sauce or mustard. If I run out of cornflour I’ll use arrowroot which I‘m not a huge fan of the texture but do like the way it doesn‘t solidify into a lump when cold so you can thicken and reheat later with no hassle.
I’m not averse when I’m really not feeling it to using Mcdougalls thickening granules (potato starch) but they contain the dreaded palm oil so I try to avoid even buying them.

I try to use vegetables to thicken when possible. Like with chicken and dumplings, I'll make a mirepoix to cook in the broth with the chicken. When chicken is done, I'll take the chicken out and use an immersion blender. Then, the chicken goes back in with any carrots or potatoes I want to add, then the dumplings.

Otherwise, I use a roux or cornstarch.

Gravy down here usually made from pan scrapings, salted and stirred with vege water thickened with flour.
I have this quick solution.
Just add water. And vegemite. Lol.

Russ

16802154420875154747526036717980.jpg

My first choice is a roux or a Beurre manié. For something quick, a cornstarch slurry.

CD

I mostly prefer flour over corn starch. it seems to hold up better. After a while, corn starch always seems to lose its thickness & becomes watery!! I've noticed that a lot in Chinese-made sauces & gravies. :eek:

For stew I prefer a thinner gravy but use flour or cornflower for thickening if required. However, if I'm just making gravy as a "sauce" I use gravy powder or granules which have their own thickener.

Gravy granules s.jpg

For stew I prefer a thinner gravy but use flour or cornflower for thickening if required. However, if I'm just making gravy as a "sauce" I use gravy powder or granules which have their own thickener.

I have some Bisto gravy granules. It makes a good base that I doctor up with spices and black pepper.

CD

Back
Top Bottom