Gravy

Me too. I once had a table booked for my birthday - but managed to fall over and break my pelvis a few weeks before! Very disappointing. I booked 5 months ahead for a lunchtime/afternoon.
Try planning a surprise party for your daughter's 10th birthday. The day before she falls down and busts her tongue wide open. Yes, mom went ahead with the party but the birthday girl didn't get a cupcake.
Couldn't talk well, couldn't eat but went to school anyway.

Try planning a surprise party for your daughter's 10th birthday. The day before she falls down and busts her tongue wide open. Yes, mom went ahead with the party but the birthday girl didn't get a cupcake.
Couldn't talk well, couldn't eat but went to school anyway.
Cin, I want to press a reset button on your childhood. But you've come out OK though

Cin, I want to press a reset button on your childhood. But you've come out OK though
No resets. My sister/cousin/friend needed my parents divorced and me moved out of town afterwards.
Long story short: she is really a friend but she thought of my dad like an uncle and I have always considered her my little sister. My dad made sure she was fed and took her on trips to come see us.
I had a good childhood compared to hers.

OTOH there are Bisto granules. :D
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I always make gravy with the meat juices, a bit of cornflour, and stock (giblet stock for poultry, and vegetable stock for practically everything else). If it needs a bit of colour, I add a little sauce (brown sauce or soy, depending what it's going with).

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I always make gravy with the meat juices, a bit of cornflour, and stock (giblet stock for poultry, and vegetable stock for practically everything else). If it needs a bit of colour, I add a little sauce (brown sauce or soy, depending what it's going with).
Sauces in general, and gravy in particular are my favourite things to cook. I love tweeking with flavours. I always roast meat on a trivet of vegetables - anything lying around that's past its best - onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, fennel, along with bay leaves, peppercorns, garlic and fresh herbs. It's a nice place for the meat to be, and all of the flavours end up in the gravy juices.

Sauces in general, and gravy in particular are my favourite things to cook. I love tweeking with flavours. I always roast meat on a trivet of vegetables - anything lying around that's past its best - onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, fennel, along with bay leaves, peppercorns, garlic and fresh herbs. It's a nice place for the meat to be, and all of the flavours end up in the gravy juices.
I find you can't beat making gravy from the juices of a good pot roast either

I might get disowned for this but my usual method is to cook my roasts in a huge cast iron pan on top of a trivet of garlic or onion, herbs and sometimes fruit or carrot.

Once I remove the bird or joint to rest I put the pan over flame and mash the trivet with a fork. Then I add wine, then water or stock and scrape up all the yummy bits. I thicken it with gravy powder - it's corn flour, colour, salt - and then I add pepper to taste.

I totally forgot about chocolate gravy. It is also served over American biscuits.

@Frizz1974, your gravy sounds great.

I might get disowned for this but my usual method is to cook my roasts in a huge cast iron pan on top of a trivet of garlic or onion, herbs and sometimes fruit or carrot.

Once I remove the bird or joint to rest I put the pan over flame and mash the trivet with a fork. Then I add wine, then water or stock and scrape up all the yummy bits. I thicken it with gravy powder - it's corn flour, colour, salt - and then I add pepper to taste.

Sounds good to me!

We had a boned leg of pork last night which sat on a trivet on garlic, diced apple, thyme & lemon thyme, tossed with a little oil salt & pepper. I added a splash of white wine before sitting the joint on top.

For the gravy I added white wine, the chicken stock (from cubes) I had cooked brown rice & quinoa in (for a roast veg "salad" with fresh baby spinach & parsley) and thickened it with gravy mix mixed with milk.

The gravy was soooo good.

For the gravy I added white wine, the chicken stock (from cubes) I had cooked brown rice & quinoa in (for a roast veg "salad" with fresh baby spinach & parsley) and thickened it with gravy mix mixed with milk.

I'm sort of drooling here! Despite the terrible heat I now want gravy.

After reading all of this, so do I.

Gravy me, Cin... now!

Actually, about the only thing that I can add is I wonder where the fine line is between a gravy and a pan sauce? Also, then, what is a jus?

After reading all of this, so do I.

Gravy me, Cin... now!

Actually, about the only thing that I can add is I wonder where the fine line is between a gravy and a pan sauce? Also, then, what is a jus?
I think that totally depends on where you are at.

Jus to me is a reduced stock of fabulous quality, let down with a little wine or port/sherry etc & mounted with butter.

Back
Top Bottom