Grease Fire Control

GindusPapa

Über Member
Local time
1:06 AM
Almost everyone of us would have had an appointment with grease fire in the kitchen. Though it isn't dangerous usually sometimes these fire can get out of hand and prove costly. And interesting fact is that many people doesn't know how to puff out a grease fire. I read an article on this topic. Has any of you had this kind of fire and put it out okay?

I have before small ones though from slopping grease over the side of the pan on a gas stove. or just the pan getting too hot and adding something to it and it sets it off. Just pouring baking soda on it will work if it's a small one or just putting a lid over the pan if that's whats on fire. Oh and Don't use water!! it will just spread a grease fire!

What did you read? can you post a link to the article here for others to read?

I had a commercial extract go up a few years ago ,it was horrendous,I got to the end of the extract and squirted every fire extinguisher we had down it,and put the fire out,there was loads of carbon to clear up ,extract systems have to be cleaned for insurance twice a year ,they are high risk

Grease fire in an extractor, only not a cooking one.
From memory:
Isolate, be it gas or electric in use.
Don't move: Make no attempt to move the piece alight or anything near it. Risk of knocking it.
Extinguinsher: Select and use the correct types.
Doubt: If any get the experts in and yourself out!

Ended up using water hoses to cool surrounding areas.

Had a chip pan go up a few years ago - just did the usual thing - put a damp towel over the pan - killed it immediately but the smell and smoke was terrible. [had a LOT of explaining to do that night]

I heard it from my grandmother that you should put flour on it? Maybe?
But not water!
Try to get the oxygen out so cover it instantly for sure.

I worked in fast food as a teenager and we were trained in what to do if it happened. Small ones, I've had to put out! Nothing major though. I'm glad that they gave us the insight though and trained us properly. Honestly, it could have been disastrous otherwise!

Almost everyone of us would have had an appointment with grease fire in the kitchen. Though it isn't dangerous usually sometimes these fire can get out of hand and prove costly. And interesting fact is that many people doesn't know how to puff out a grease fire. I read an article on this topic. Has any of you had this kind of fire and put it out okay?

Put a lid on it. That's right, get a metal lid and just slide it on the pan, and the fire should go out. Fire will not & cannot burn without oxygen to feed it. :wink:

Put a lid on it. That's right, get a metal lid and just slide it on the pan, and the fire should go out. Fire will not & cannot burn without oxygen to feed it. :wink:
The wet/damp cloth offers you some protection whilst doing the same.

Explain the sun burning!

The wet/damp cloth offers you some protection whilst doing the same.

Explain the sun burning!

I've never had a grease fire (thank God), but I've heard some horrible stories of them!

Nothing nice! peoples' apartments or houses get burnt down as a result of grease fires. Also, it can cause loss of lives!

The only thing that I let a pan get screaming hot over a burner for is when I'm about to do a Chinese stir-fry. And that is BEFORE the oil is introduced into the pan or wok. Then, once the oil is put in, in go the veggies right away! To wait too long to add the veggies, it could invite a disaster!! :eek:

Last edited:
I had a commercial extract go up a few years ago ,it was horrendous,I got to the end of the extract and squirted every fire extinguisher we had down it,and put the fire out,there was loads of carbon to clear up ,extract systems have to be cleaned for insurance twice a year ,they are high risk
If you used Co2 extinguishers on a fat fire, you took a chance of blowing it back the other way as much as putting it out.
New class created created for fat fires. That piece I had to check.

Best advice at present, forget the extinguishers, conflicting information on these, fire blanket or wet/damp towel. If in doubt, Get Out.

Last edited:
If you used Co2 extinguishers on a fat fire, you took a chance of blowing it back the other way as much as putting it out.
New class created created for fat fires. That piece I had to check.

Best advice at present, forget the extinguishers, conflicting information on these, fire blanket or wet/damp towel. If in doubt, Get Out.
This was in a twenty foot run with a heavy duty fan ,the IA was to prevent the trimmed rafters from catching on fire,I was lucky enough to beat the wall in and quench the flume ,the fire brigade confirmed that I had saved the roof

This was in a twenty foot run with a heavy duty fan ,the IA was to prevent the trimmed rafters from catching on fire,I was lucky enough to beat the wall in and quench the flume ,the fire brigade confirmed that I had saved the roof

Grease that has piled up in the hood & its ductwork can be very dangerous! :eek:

it is also the leading cause of fires in restaurant kitchens. When they don't clean the grease off the hood and its inner workings, flare-ups created when cooking burgers or steaks on the grill can possibly ignite the grease pile-up that has manifested into a monster!! :eek:

An IHOP restaurant in Revere, MA was quite possibly the victim of that. The fire had burnt a hole in the roof over the kitchen area and the restaurant closed.
But I'm happy to say that it has reopened last year after being given a facelift. The hole in the roof was repaired and the place was spruced up intensely to look like new again! I've since eaten there on several occasions. A happy ending! :wink:

Grease that has piled up in the hood & its ductwork can be very dangerous! :eek:

it is also the leading cause of fires in restaurant kitchens. When they don't clean the grease off the hood and its inner workings, flare-ups created when cooking burgers or steaks on the grill can possibly ignite the grease pile-up that has manifested into a monster!! :eek:

An IHOP restaurant in Revere, MA was quite possibly the victim of that. The fire had burnt a hole in the roof over the kitchen area and the restaurant closed.
But I'm happy to say that it has reopened last year after being given a facelift. The hole in the roof was repaired and the place was spruced up intensely to look like new again! I've since eaten there on several occasions. A happy ending! :wink:
U.K. Insurance companies require 6 monthly contract clean if a fryer is used more than 8 hours a day and once a year if 8 hours or less,
You get before and after time date pictures and a certificate of completion
Filters have to be done weekly,and have to be a certain type now ,not mesh based any more ,they are what they call baffle filters

First things first. If you have a gas stove, turn off the burner. Then smother the fire.

Back
Top Bottom