• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 (3- to 3 1/2-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up and skinned
  • 8 cups water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • Previously cooked rice
Directions

Sauté onions and celery in butter in a large Dutch oven until onions are clear.

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour over sautéed vegetables; stir well. Cook over low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add chicken, water, peppercorns, and salt to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/4 hour or until chicken is tender.

Stir in cooked rice.

Add 1/4 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon flour; stir into broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbly.

Have you ever tried using something other than wheat flour, such as potato flour? I am curious about using this instead as I don't want to use gluten. I just haven't experimented much with it yet.

Have you ever tried using something other than wheat flour, such as potato flour? I am curious about using this instead as I don't want to use gluten. I just haven't experimented much with it yet.
Where the wheat flour is being used as a thickener as here, anything that does not affect the taste will work, so farina, potato flour, arrow root (not sure on gluten free but think it is) will all work to some degree as well rice flour etc. You will just need to watch the quantity as adjust as needed.

Back
Top Bottom