Staff member
Local time
10:08 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Does anyone know anything about them?
Have you ever eaten them?
Have you ever preserved them?

I ask because I believe I have an almond tree and right now it is covered in green fruit that appear the be green (unripe) almonds.

20181103181326_IMG_1328.JPG
20181103181414_IMG_1330.JPG

I'll add a photo of the tree and a close up of the unripe fruit on the tree with the leaves ,plus possibly a photo of the tree in flower if I can find it, later today when the sun has moved round to a better position to photo the tree. Right now all I can do are picture directly into a strong morning Australian sun which won't show you anything!

I've never seen or had them but I think you have a special thing there... I'll research a bit tomorrow.

Great to see you posting again! :happy:

I know nothing about them, but I would look up Turkish, Lebanese, and other Middle Eastern recipes.

I remember my old neighbors mentioning them.

From the kitchn:

Green almonds have the briefest whisper of a season in the spring before their shells harden and start looking (and tasting!) more like the almonds we know and love. They are tart and crisp and subversively addictive around cocktail hour. If you see them, promise me that you'll give this uber-seasonal delicacy a try.

Green almonds consist of both the fuzzy green outer hull and the soft inner nut — it's that soft inner part that will eventually grow and harden into an almond. You can eat the entire green almond at this point, fuzzy outside and all. The whole almond has a crisp, watery texture and a tart flavor, like a cross between a green apple and a green grape.

You can also run a paring knife around the outside edge of the green almond, lightly cutting through the hull, and crack the hull open to get at the nut inside (as in the top-most picture, above). The tiny, pale seed is very soft and filled with a jelly-like substance. They taste very mild with a fresh "green" flavor, almost like biting too close to the rind of a watermelon.

Pretty. I might try it in pesto sauce over fish, chicken or pasta, or a topping for a colorful festive salad with pomegranate arils and sliced apples.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom