Green Egg/Kamado

Kooken

Local time
12:20 PM
Anyone else use one?
I put off buying one for years because I couldnt believe the price would reflect its usefulness.
After having one now for a couple of years I gotta say I was totally wrong. It's by far the most accurate cooker I have when it comes to holding temp using charcoal or wood.
And that you can fill it up with charcoal and get 3 or 4 cooks on it before needing a reload is crazy.
Chicken,steaks or anything else you wanna cook it excels. Used to do my Jerk Chicken on the Lange smoker but after trying it on the Kamado it's my go to cooker for jerk. We'll occasionally order some pimento logs from Jamaica for some real authentic Jerk but the stuff is pricey as hell!!!
You can toss in one log of it in the Kamado with your coals and get that authentic flavor without burning through all of your pimento.
Hell you can make cookies on the damn thing.

Anyone else use one?

My husband is the grill expert in our family, but yes he has a Kamado as well and loves it. We have the rotisserie attachment and the pizza oven attachment as well. He grills all kind of stuff on it. He likes making rotisserie chicken, I once tried rotisserie-ing some celery roots to make a vegan shawarma, which turned out quite well and was really fun!

My husband is the grill expert in our family, but yes he has a Kamado as well and loves it. We have the rotisserie attachment and the pizza oven attachment as well. He grills all kind of stuff on it. He likes making rotisserie chicken, I once tried rotisserie-ing some celery roots to make a vegan shawarma, which turned out quite well and was really fun!

Thats one of the best things about them...their versatility.

I've considered buying one several times, but I have more grills than I need now, and I really don't want to learn a new one. I can currently do everything I want to do with the equipment I have, so it doesn't make sense to make that big of an investment in something else.

CD

I've considered buying one several times, but I have more grills than I need now, and I really don't want to learn a new one. I can currently do everything I want to do with the equipment I have, so it doesn't make sense to make that big of an investment in something else.

CD

That was my thought as well.
I will say it performs far past my expectations and I dont regret buying one at all.
The ease at which it holds a constant temp is amazing and it outperforms any grill I've ever had bar none.
It's truly a set it and forget it cooker.
As far as the learning curve goes there really isnt one,just read the manual.
Once you get the two vents set it'll hold that temp until you run low on charcoal.

one thing i have always wondered about these is this : if your cooking on it and it starts snowing won't it crack from the sudden temp change ?

The temp change from 0-400c 32-752f in the inside is probably considered by the engineer. The outside temp shouldn't affect such an expensive item?

it has to get hot to cook so i would bet that a sudden change in temp would crack those things. just like putting a hot plate in cold water .....any way you slice it those things break very easy being that they are ceramic

it has to get hot to cook so i would bet that a sudden change in temp would crack those things. just like putting a hot plate in cold water .....any way you slice it those things break very easy being that they are ceramic

I would expect snow or rain to just flash to steam so fast, there wouldn't be time for thermal shock. You'd probably have to drop it in a pool of cold water to break it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom